Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-30-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Curtains Hand #2 12.30

That was a bad fold. That's usually when I go on tilt and go out of my way to bust his ass in 4th. Yeah, i'm not sold on the handle read..
Old 12-30-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You may thnik Im crazy but I make a lot of reads based on handles and chip stacks...this works for me because Im playing so many at once, and based on his handle, I would suspect he's not a great player.

The best players are the ones with two words in their handles with each word capitalized. Other good players are the ones who go out of their way to make their handle stupid/juvinile. For instance if a handle is IMASTUPIDIDIOT, they are probably at least a reasonable player. Of course none of this is fullproof, but it works pretty well when multitabling, and I find that my generalizations are usually reasonably well founded.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are crazy. In the hand I played like an idiot where there was a fellow player who pushed into a big stack on a dry sidepot with no hand or draw, the player's handle was "iamsobadtoo" and I took that into consideration thinking that it would mean he wasn't so bad.

(So bad, if you are reading this, my apologies, but it was a really bad play. Maybe you were just drunk or something.)

[/ QUOTE ]

His handle wasnt capitalized..BIG DIFFERENCE! Anyway once they open limp on the button you cancel all name based reads.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:44 PM

Ok, I wasn't gonna mention this one, but there's a player at the table in this hand with all caps that has made some pretty questionable plays, but maybe he just donks it up for fun in the $109s and also his name isn't self-deprecating so it probably has to be both allcaps and self-deprecating. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-30-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

His handle wasnt capitalized..BIG DIFFERENCE! Anyway once they open limp on the button you cancel all name based reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read this "judging a book by its cover" idea of yours several times now, and it makes me laugh, but then I think you might have a point. It's all information to consider, after all - I notice when I play 109s, the names are much "scarier" than the 55s. They are all like "pwn_u_batch" and "eat_ur_face_4_lunch_please_die" - so I guess HOTDUDE69 would indeed seem less threatening.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:10 PM

So did you choose you're handle so people would think you were a lonely housewife blowing you're husbands money or a gay interior decorator or something?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:17 PM

And shouldn't the handle be ILuvDrapes? And what happened to
Drapes and Jenium? Do we even have any girls around here anymore?
Old 12-30-2005, 02:27 PM

Another name-based read I've found to be true: people with "fish" in their name almost always are. Maybe they were called "fish" so many times they adopted the nickname. Maybe they think they're great and make excessively fancy, ill-advised bluffs.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And shouldn't the handle be ILuvDrapes? And what happened to
Drapes and Jenium? Do we even have any girls around here anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

I told Jenn that for training purposes she should logon to 2+2 and answer 10 hand posts per day. Im giving her a week long intensive training course in a few weeks to get her playing the 109s and eventually the 215s.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:49 PM

So what did curtains do and what did villain have (if we found out)?

As an aside: it seems like some of these curtains threads meander off and die before we find out what curtains did. I understand that stuff like - what card came on the turn - is completely irrelevant. But knowing what curtains did and whether our reads on villian were correct are very relevant IMO.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:50 PM

I check raised allin, my opponent folded. When the threads die too quickly I sometimes forget to go search back 3 pages to say what I did.