Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-22-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Re: *TT* rates OOT\'s fashion sense

[ QUOTE ]
TT,

When it comes to getting shirts tailored, what should one expect to spend per shirt? And how does one best go about finding a good tailor, outside of giant metro areas like NYC? I live in a suburb of Dallas, and I don't really want to take my clothes to a random asian family to get tailored... an asian family about whom I've heard good things, fine, but I don't run in circles with people who need clothing tailored. I have a dry cleaner I trust, but they were recommended by a friend.

I'm 6'5, 185 - the photo I posted shows me in a decent slim sweater, but generally, my shirts are too big for my body. I end up having to buy shirts that are too big for my body because my arms are too long for a generic "medium," so I end up buying a generic "large," and wearing a damn balloon of a shirt that - thankfully - has arms that are long enough.

Aside from becoming less poor - something that I'm obviously working on - is finding a good tailor and getting my shirts properly tailored to my body a good option?

I feel like this post ended up being written completely backwards, but hey.

Thoughts?

yasher

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question, I always get clobbered by dry cleaners when I travel, I would assume its the same with tailors.

1) Find a dedicated tailor, not someone who operates out of a cleaners

2) Bring them photos of celebrities whose style you like, who also happen to be wearing similar cut suits (remember - color doesn't matter, and there are really only a handful of cuts available for the most part). Explain to the tailor how you don't want to look like every other suit/shirt they trim... how you want to look "Hollywood". I know it sounds stupid, but the dumb-ass with the needle and thread might get it.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i wear levi 560 jeans and a white t-shirt i have owned for anywhere between 4 and 10 years. blue adidas shoes. rolex submariner watch (stainless and black). no belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like you Bob, but I can't grace this with a response. I think you have a lot of room for improvement though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2005, 07:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this thread is good.

If I could add one thing to TT's solid advice it'd be this: Get a a couple of real [censored] watches, people! I don't mean showoff brands like Rolex or Omega (although if you have the $$$, sure, why not), just well designed, high-quality mechanics/automatics. I admit, there are some creative designs among the non-brands, but 99% of the time you'll be better off with a watch-watch.

If you'd buy a car, wouldn't you rather buy an Mercedes than a no-name POS on wheels with a DKNY-logo?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually most of those designer watches are made by one of three companies:
1) Casio
2) Fossil (the #2 watch manufacturer in the world)
3) Swatch (The #1 watch manufacturer in the world)

Here is a good tip[, don't buy a Rolex, get a Zenith (owned by LVMH) instead. Zenith has manufactured the internals for Rolex for decades (if I recall correctly), why bother wasting the extra dough when you can get the real deal for cheaper (theoretically)?

Old 12-22-2005, 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
More questions for TT, while I'm at it:

1. How do you feel about the Bachrach shoes with a tux? I'm already going through the miserable experience of renting a tux for a wedding and absolutely abhor the thought of wearing disgusting patent leather shoes. You think those ok for black tie? And no, I'm not gonna buy a tux right now, either.

2. With casual clothes (jeans and khakis) I almost exclusively wear brown Nocona bullhide cowboy boots. Occasionally I'll wear Asics similar to these, except in grey.

Regardless of your commentary, I'll continue to wear boots; having said that, I'm interested in fashion-guy's opinion about them. PS: I live in Dallas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am clueless in the tux department, other than I know you should never rent if you can avoid it. Take a quick flight to NYC just to shop at Century 21, you can buy a stylish tux for under $400... they always have closeouts there for more than 75% off retail. Same goes for the shoes, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I have failed you.

Boots - those can be fun at times, but you will kill your feet in the long run.

Skips - I like the Asics, actually I'm rather surprised I do. Of course as with all fashion the answer is "depends", but solo its cool.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No way dude... I don't belive you. I want to see a photo to prove it.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense to the MANY who wear them, but I wish we could get over this whole Movado thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the motion. Its tired... time to move on. My magazine won't even accept advertising from them now, that says a lot.

Old 12-22-2005, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Photos Photos Photos...

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea, will do when I get home.

[/ QUOTE ]
What I wore today:

Some things I picked up at banana republic:

As you can see I need help. Jeans are from Aeropostale. I am looking to head to Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus so anything you can suggest would be great. Shoes as well since I usually just wear some old running shoes since I'm a runner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd follow Shant's style for the most part, he dresses very LA hipsterish. I think the #1 problem you got going on isn't the clothing however, its the hairstyle. Lift up the bangs, the Cesar look works for Comodus, but not for your face.

As another option, buy a copy of US Magazine (I know, yuck... even I don't normally stoop that low)and rip out some looks you like. Bring them with you to the store, find the hottest sales gal, and go to town. Make sure you bring your phone number (and new haircut)... because she will ask for it if you start spending - on this I can GUARANTEE (if you are shopping at Nordstrom's). She wants it for two reasons - you are now her best new customer and she will want to give you the best service, and (hopefully) you are now her best new customer and she will want to give you the best service. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-22-2005, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm amazed at how you managed to look exactly the same (as far as your pose/facial expressions are concerned) in all of those pictures

if I had to guess, TT is going to rip on how your clothes are too baggy and how your haircut looks like you did it by yourself, with a box-cutter, in the complete darkness

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... I need a vacation, wanna take over?

Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 AM

TT,

This is a fairly ridiculous suggestion you make here. I believe Zenith no longer makes the internals for Rolex and that it might've only been for the Daytona model.

I still think almost everyone cares more about the EXTERNALS of a watch though. Rolex provides timeless styles that justify spending a bit more.

A good tip would be not to get one brand just to get that brand (Rolex is probably huge here), but instead to figure out a price range and style and really do some research.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:47 AM

Obsidian - You look uncomfortable in your own skin. Smile and shoulders back.