Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-15-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: SNG Reading List

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the link.

[/ QUOTE ]

As the author says in that link,

[ QUOTE ]
I make absolutely no claim that this is the optimal way to play. It’s not, and you shouldn’t.

[/ QUOTE ]

This would be particularly detrimental to someone who does not know how to play poker.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:02 PM

OP: This is a disastrously bad plan for several reasons not the least of which is that your friend will waste a lot of time reading material at best tangentially related to NL SnGs. And some of those books are bad advice for even the games they were intended for.

It will sound like conceit (perhaps less so for me because I don't talk much strategy here) but this forum is the best source of SnG information out there. Besides that make sure he is sufficiently rolled and motivated and is willing to put in the time reviewing each and every HH he plays . Eastbay's program is very useful but not necessary, althoygh downloading it is a very good idea if for only the free tutorial. Speaking of which he once posted that knowing and implementing everything in the thread at the bottom of this post could turn you into a profitable player at the 109s at Party. Now, I am not positive about that but the thread is still a treasure trove of information:

If I were to recommend books that are clearly helpful to SnG play I would recommend Harrington's two books and Sklansky's Theory of Poker.

As for andanthar's guide I think its a lot better and more profitable than most people here do. Its not how I play but I think if one implemented it correctly combined with above average pbubble play they could probably mutlitable the 11s for around 20%.

The Shadow's gift to us all
Old 12-15-2005, 05:10 PM

TPFAP is also very very useful for SnG play, I am surprised you don't realise that.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:11 PM

Meh, point taken. Actually I read his mention of it as Hold Em for Advanced Players. I'm tired. I still think you can be a highly profitable player having never read it and most of the salient points re: stack management & SnGs I think are covered here in far more fleshed out way.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A very studious friend, very good in physics and accounting, good at playing Risk, Monopoly, and MTG, very disciplined, very computer literate, great video game player and close to genius in IQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you are in love with him.

Searching this forum & buying SNGPT would be the approach I recommend. There were some good discussions late last year that helped me out, but I don't think the search goes back that far now.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:35 AM

I think as a poker book, The Theory of Poker can't be beat. The concepts there apply to any game. After that I think Harrington's books are tremendous. And the third thing would be this forum.