Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-09-2005, 06:36 PM

Default a quick excercise - Describe how you feel and act when you are on Tilt

Please do not respond to this thread with ANYTHING other than your answer.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: a quick excercise - Describe how you feel and act when you are on Tilt

When I tilt I stop thinking. I tend to bet.

It becomes a blur. Sometimes I don't remember the board. I want to win the pot. I make loose calls.

Sometime I expect to lose. Last month I called the river expecting to lose. My opponent rolled over 5 high, but I expected to loose so much that my cards were in the muck, and the dealer started to push the pot before I realized that I mucked the best hand.

I don't enjoy poker when I tilt. I enjoy analyzing each situation and taking the correct action. Tilt gets in the way of this.

I don't tilt as much when I'm well rested. I don't tilt as often at average tables. I tend to tilt more at crazy tables.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: a quick excercise - Describe how you feel and act when you are on Tilt

I get stubborn and rabid. In limit, I will 3-bet a raise, or cap a 3-bet. In NL, I will go all-in against a re-raise without stopping to think about if I am pot-committed or not.

In a SNG or late stages of a tournament, I will get so frustrated at missing out on the "big money" that I will push prematurely or tangle with chip-leaders when others may bust out before me. I get so sick of waiting for cards to play that I make my very marginal cards "the right cards".

I know that all of these things are WRONG, but I just can't stop. It's like stubbing my toe, then punching a wall because I'm angry at myself for doing that, then kicking the wall with the foot I originally stubbed my toe on because I'm ticked off I lost control enough to punch the wall.

Since I mainly play SNGs and the occassional MTT, I can just get up after tilting off my chips and take a walk while I feel stupid about my play.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: a quick excercise - Describe how you feel and act when you are on

Hey! thank you for a good and very imortant post. I'm sure that many players feels just like you do sometimes, including myself.
I think that the main factor for start tilting are, when you are tired, irritating or both of them - over losing your money to some sucker, and just wants to win it back QUICK, so you can continue making more money for yourself. with that I mean you don't wants to work as hard to get you're money back you lost by being unlucky, as you will working to get new money.. Do you see what I'm saying?!?!

Well anyway, i saved the post you sent on my computer, because i liked it very much... Not because i feels like you do all the time, but because it's a very important thing to think about.

// Rio Bravo
Old 08-09-2005, 07:54 PM

I start hoping instead of reasoning.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It becomes a blur. Sometimes I don't remember the board. I want to win the pot. I make loose calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

this pretty much sums it up. plus its very hard to quit, even when i realise that i'm on tilt.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:19 PM

When I am on bad tilt in hold em, I start thinking like an omaha player. When I have a set, even if its the nuts, I tend to feel like I know that I need to redraw againt the straight that I know it coming on the turn.
I start getting afraid of running into the nutflush when I hold a lower flush.

What else? I stop paying attention to other peoples betting patterns. Sometimes I misread the board too. For example, I might put in too many bets with a flush on a paired board against a rock for example.

I start three betting a lot more preflop. I might 3 bet with as little as sevens against an EP raiser for example. Against an MP raiser, I'll probably 3 bet pocket fives or better.

What else? My head gets really hot, like Pedro in Napoleon Dynamite. I might get angry at another player, but I don't say anything.

This stuff doesn't happen all at once though. It happens in gradations. I almost always quit before it gets bad.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 AM

I feel that I have magical powers.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:37 AM

I start cursing at the screen and the other players. Get really angry and feel like I need to win or am due the pot or else there is no justice in the world.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:58 AM

I get the death wish. I stop caring, watching, and just want to lose it all or double my buy in.