Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Calling off chips with the big stack

[ QUOTE ]
OK...OK....Look up in the poker dictionary under donk and find a picture of me. I get it. I read in HOH 2 that he will call off with any two cards from the big stack in this situation. Am I reading this wrong? What you have posted makes sense to me and I think I will continue to be aggressive on the bubble but not so much with the donking off chips with crappy calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah he does state that he autocalls some all ins - however Harrington specifically states that it needs to be less than %10 of his stack to be an auto call, plus he's done plenty of simlulation work away from the poker tables to know which hands stand a chance in a race versus a random hand. TJ also advocates a call with less than %10 of your stack if your cards have a decent EV versus a random hand. Neither recommends calling off 1/3 of your stack just to take a stab at the dark.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That is what Harrington says. He calls it the 10-to-1 rule. He is only talking about situations where the guaranteed prize with each elimination is increasing significantly; this is in short-table play section.

[/ QUOTE ]

i made a post about this in the mtt formum here.

this doesn't really apply to an stt itm (because pay only jumps 1 unit, and it jumps 2 units 2nd to 1st). i guess it actually would apply pretty well to 4-handed in a stt, but i didn't realize that until i posted in the mtt forum, and harrington was presumably mostly talking about mtt's. also, usually at the bubble if you have a big stack in a stt then someone with 1/10 your stack has like 3 bb's, so your calling range can be kinda wide. and there's a lot of talk about keeping the shorty alive on the bubble in stt's, so i know the stt world doesn't really go for this.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:43 AM

1/3 is too much

more like 1/10th

if u have 4k and they have 400, go for it

if u have 3k and they have 1k, why do u wanna be on the wrong side of the coinflip to have u both tied at 2k?

use your big stack to your advantage by pushing first in pot with a wider range due to fe...but don't call with donk hands when they have 15+% of your chips
Old 10-12-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and there's a lot of talk about keeping the shorty alive on the bubble in stt's, so i know the stt world doesn't really go for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a search looking for some posts on bubble play and couldnt find what I was looking for. I am assuming that the reason to keep the shorty alive is to keep the blind stealing situation going. Any good material out there on bubble play? Looking for a link
Old 10-12-2005, 05:02 PM

I make my living by getting big stacks to make loose calls on the bubble or ITM.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I make my living by getting big stacks to make loose calls on the bubble or ITM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoping to contribute less to your kids college fund in the future.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hoping to contribute less to your kids college fund in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get carried away.

Also, ask my kids who thier mother is. I don't remember.