Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: How would you react? B&M Confrontation last night

Unlike all of the pseudo intellectuals/sophistos, I don't think you did anything you should be ashamed of (which you seem logical enough to already understand).

If his hand was in my face, I would have slapped it out of the way. I would have insulted him also, as you did.

I probably would have walked away rather than get in a shouting match though. I'm not saying you did anything wrong there, just that shouting in public does not really fit my personality.

How people react in these situations has less to do with logic/religion/philosophy than the pseudo intellectuals would have you believe. Like any other mammal, a human's response is going to be governed by many factors. I am not saying to intentionally "act like an animal". What I am saying is that we are animals, whether we like or not, and so we have no choice.

There was a very similiar thread a while back in the psychology forum, and some licensed psychologists gave their thoughts. I was amazed at how shallow and unscientific their responses were. It's as if they don't understand that human beings are animals.

Do they even understand that someone who is 250 pounds of muscle is more likely to act aggressively in this situation than a 90 pound psuedo intellectual? And that this has nothing to do with "maturity" or "level of sophistication"? Do they understand that this would be the case with any higher animal species?

That's why "psychology" is a soft science, I guess. Modern psychology may as well be a religion, or a philosophy. Many pseudo intellectuals don't like to be told that they are religious, but they accept so much sophistry based on faith that I see no distinction.

Surely, anyone who responds to a holier than thou diatribe along the lines of "you failed to demonstate that you are a superior human being than him, and you should not have sunk to his level" with an "AWESOME" must be some kind of religious zealot...

If I said nothing in that situation, I would lose sleep over it. I guess that makes me quite "immature" and "unsophisticated".

I'm OK with that though, so I would slap his hand out of the way. I don't allow strangers to wave their hands in my face in a taunting manner, unless there are other considerations (i.e. I am fearful of the consequences of reacting due to the nature of the situation).

So I would ignore all of the "holier than thou" responses. You did what felt right for you. I don't think you did anything wrong or inappropriate. Were I to witness that event, I would understand your actions completely. I would consider the other player to be way out of line. It's not appopriate to taunt other players and wave your hands in their face.

I mean, what if he slapped you? Should you turn the other cheek? Wait, I know... You should document the incident, go the police, and file a civil suit. Any other action would mark you as simply an inferior person. I mean, the baby boomers figured out that the last several thousand generations of human beings had it all wrong, and the subsequent generations have accepted their sophistry with no questions asked. For example, never ever strike a child in any situation imaginable. Yeah, right. Ignore these zealots.

As for the people who said you should stay at the table, I don't think they know what a sit and go is.

I don't think there is one right answer here. Your way of handling it seems fine to me.