Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 06:54 PM

Default Success Challenge at 10/20(SCATT): The road to 500BB - Week 1

Success Challenge at 10/20: Week 1

The first step in this challenge is to cut down to 2 tables and do some serious work on my game. It's hard to break old habits from 5/10 - I'd fire up 4 tables, wait for playerview to refresh, swap out bad ones, then play autopilot, etc...

I start each session with 2 tables, and sit and watch the first orbit as I wait for my BB - it was startling to realize how few real reads I had been using. I also actively check hand histories as hands finish (I've got a 1900x1200 monitor so it's easy even with 3-4 tables). It's done great things for my game to consciously make each decision, factoring in my recent actions - did I fold to a turn raise last time? - and the players' tendencies.

However, learning to deal with the increased aggression is no excuse for me to go off playing bad poker. It's taken me awhile to realize that it means calling down more, not 3betting more. I LAG'd it up for my first couple shots at 10/20..here's an example, though from this week.

Playing bad, pushing too hard, and not giving opponents enough credit:

Button is a TAG, BB is a loose/passive.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Button calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (21 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 24 BB

I just honestly don't fold overpairs in shorthanded games - it is clear that once the LP has come to life and call-3bet the flop and lead the turn that he's got a big hand...with the TAG raising again on the turn it should be obvious that i'm up against at least 2pair, likely a set or a straight. I'm getting 4.5:1 to see a showdown on the turn, and that's if there's no more raising. I've got outs vs 2 pair, but I don't know which are good, and the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] might not be any good vs 2 pair or a lower set because of the 2 opponents.

Anyway Button showed T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and BB showed 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I've also made a conscious effort to get to showdown more...when actively watching the players at the table it becomes obvious who will take stabs at pots if you give them a chance... Focusing more on playing the player rather than just my hand...and taking into account what he wants me to do.

On getting to showdown, and having things work out:

The third player(SB) I felt was capable of folding better hands, so I opted to play my draw fast.

Villain is a 46/21/1.9 over 184 hands. I'd seen him bluff-bet the river when checked to a couple times. He's also very very aggressive when he hits a pair, so I think it's less likely when he calls along the flop.

He's capable of slowplaying, so his lack of a turn raise rules out monsters. I whiff the river, but instead of autofolding like I would if I was 6-tabling or not paying that much attention, I check to induce a bluff since he'll take a stab with most missed draws. He didn't raise pf so I'm certain MHIG if he hasn't paired, and he'll bet any Q and any missed draw, so I'm giving myself a shot at winning a good sized pot, and an extra bet.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Villain had T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and MHIG.

I played every day the first part of the week, and posted frequently on 2+2. A fellow 2+2er spent some time sweating me at the tables and it was quite helpful to bounce ideas off of him - it helps my confidence as well.

I went on vacation to Fire Island with my girlfriend and her family thursday evening, and didn't get back 'till sunday. We had a great time, and got some awesome beach weather - and some chest-high waves on Friday!

I worked a bit on a datamining application while I was gone because it rained one day - hopefully I'll have that done soon too. Between the vacation and the reduced # of tables I didn't get that many hands in, but I'm running great, which is a fantastic feeling at the 10/20.

Total for week1:
2,119 hands, +$2,838.63

Goal Status:
Started at -400, objective: +500
Current: -258 bets

Surf
Old 07-04-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Success Challenge at 10/20(SCATT): The road to 500BB - Week 1

in hand 1, i hate the turn. the pots been 3 bet preflop and on the flop, and you're check 3 betting the turn. ugh. i think with the turn action i'm worried about a set and just want to get to showdown. but considering their final hands, you may have had some additional reads on them.

in hand 2, why not raise from bb with A9o? what numbers do you have on the btn - and what kind of a player would you and would you not raise from there? the only player i wouldn't raise is a very overly tight player who doesn't raise preflop and is going to a showdown.

good post, btw

stealthcow-
Old 07-04-2005, 07:32 PM

Thoroughly enjoying the read.
I've been playing 10/20 for 1 week now.

I'll post some info here and maybe you'll learn something or teach me something=)

When I went up to 10/20 my vpip immediately went up 3.
I have a high WtoSD which I think is fitting for 10/20 the bluffraise mecka.
I really try to play the opposition a lot. I think it's easy to tilt for a hand or two.

/Rudis, Hellcall
Old 07-04-2005, 09:00 PM

Your W$WSF, WTSD and W$SD are very high, which indicates you are running well. I'm jealous! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

However your VPIP/PFR combo are quite high and may be unsustainable, unless your postflop skills are impeccable - Something to think about.

Make the images a bit smaller too, please!

Surf
Old 07-05-2005, 01:14 AM

in hand 1 I 3bet preflop, while the flop 3bettor was the BB who had called the whole way - this should set of alarms immediately anyway, since he is so passive. Altogether it was just a case of misreading hands (or reading them but ignoring it) and being way too overaggro with an overpair.

Hand2 sometimes I'll raise preflop, ATo I'll definitely raise and A8o I wont...A9 is borderline, I felt I could encourage further mistakes postflop because I had a hand that could see a showdown UI, and I felt that the LAG would often bluff at the unraised pot on the flop.

Surf
Old 07-05-2005, 01:37 AM

Looks like you're off to a good start Surf. From what I can tell from your posts, you definitely have the talent to get there. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 07-05-2005, 01:50 AM

For anyone who missed it, here's the link to the original post.

The start of the challenge.

Surf
Old 07-05-2005, 02:13 AM

I really am not a fan of the flop play in hand 1. given that you're out of position, I'd cap the flop and lead the turn. and fold if it were 3-betted back to me, otherwise I'd call down.

I think hand 2 is good.
Old 07-05-2005, 02:29 AM

Nice job. I admire your resolve. We will look back at this and laugh after you win about a million big bets.

Cartman
Old 07-05-2005, 02:20 PM

Yeah I don't like my play in hand1 either, I played it like I had a monster, when all I had was an overpair, and I didn't change my actions based on the information I was receiving from the other players' bets and raises.

Surf