Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 04:56 PM

Default Bellagio 15/30 A3s

$15/30 at the Bellagio. When I sat down the game had been tight and generally bad. I was going to transfer to a different table, but then there was much turnover in our lineup, and it has suddenly become a good game. The player to my immediate left (the button on this hand) was a fairly tight old white guy, but other than him, the table is quite loose and is also pretty passive.

Preflop: Four players limp. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the cutoff. I would often raise this, but I look left and it appears that the button is going to fold. Without the added bonus of buying the button, I decide I'll limp along. With a stronger suited ace like A9s, I would raise here. With A3s am I giving anything up by limping here behind loose limpers? The button now raises. The big blind and all the limpers call. I consider reraising to build a pot with my suited ace, but instead just call especially since the button is the kind of player who is particularly likely to have a very strong hand here rather than to be raising just because he's on the button and many have limped. Is a reraise much better than a call here?

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB and limpers check. I bet. Everyone calls.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. BB and limpers check. I bet. The button and two of the limpers call.

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. The limpers check and I bet.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 15/30 A3s

Is a reraise much better than a call here?

No. I think calling is superior as you want to be able to get away from flopping a lone A should there be lots of action. Even better that you think the button may cap it.

Flop action:

I don't really know what you're doing with this bet. If you think you can get the button to raise, getting heads up with 5 outs in a big pot against a big pair, well, I like it. I certainly don't think you're betting as a semi-bluff - I am hesitant to semi-bluff into a million limpers. duh. A Checkraise would almost be good here - you want to start eliminating people in this medium-big pot.

Turn:

I love this bet. Great bet. You're now in trouble, but if you can get AT and other better aces than you to fold, that's a huge coup. I don't think AK or AQ will fold though. They're getting great odds to spike (what they think is a 6-outer) on the river. I don't think you're best though.

River:

Button just calling all the way is bad news when the A drops.

I think I check-call a button bet on the river and accept being beat.

You won't get any better hands to fold and you won't get many worse hands to call here. It doesn't look like a big Jack is out there because there hasn't been any raises on earlier streets.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you can get the button to raise, getting heads up with 5 outs in a big pot against a big pair, well, I like it. I certainly don't think you're betting as a semi-bluff - I am hesitant to semi-bluff into a million limpers. duh. A Checkraise would almost be good here - you want to start eliminating people in this medium-big pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no guarantee that he has a big pair. Even though I don't see this guy raising preflop with a hand like JTs, he could certainly hold a big ace. I don't expect this guy to bet an unimproved AK or AQ into a field of six people. So if I check the flop, there is a very real chance of it checking around. Do I really want that?

I don't see the merit to check-raising at all. Since the bettor is on my left, I have no chance of eliminating anyone, and if he bets this flop he can almost certainly beat a pair of threes.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Gamblor -

He hit a pair of 3s on the flop and made 2 pair on the river.

-Lee
Old 01-19-2005, 05:47 PM

hi bobby

do not betout on the flop.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[i].

Turn:

I love this bet. Great bet. You're now in trouble, but if you can get AT and other better aces than you to fold, that's a huge coup. I don't think AK or AQ will fold though. They're getting great odds to spike (what they think is a 6-outer) on the river. I don't think you're best though.

/quote]
If AK or AQ is out there, they do have their 5 outs because the turn paired the board. Take this into consideration.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He hit a pair of 3s on the flop and made 2 pair on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
The paired six on the turn means that on the river my pair of threes doesn't play. I'm losing to AK or AQ, which are very likely hands for the button.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:51 PM

Enon : He hit three pair on the river, Aces, 6's, and 3's.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:09 PM

I think your pre-flop limp was best choice. Suited Ace-small thrives on implied odds. As you found, A9s makes a much stronger hand when you hit your kicker than A3s.

7 ways pot with bottom pair, no back doordraws.

You bet with what might be the best hand at the moment, but if everyone is going to call then what does the bet accomplish? On average in a 7 way pot someone will have something better than a pair of 3's already and if they don't then most turn cards hurt you. You don't have an equity egde against all those hands.
Now, if you think 3 or 4 player will fold then maybe.
Anyway, I would check this flop.

The turn card is good and bad. If your were ahead on the flop then you're still ahead. But you just lost some outs...because you might loose if you spike an ace. Here a bet seems good because you bet the flop and you must pressure the no-pairs to fold. The callers could still have a wide range of hands. Flush draws, Overcards, mid pairs...

If you check the river do you think the button would ever bluff at the pot without a pair?
Because this could make up for missed value if you check and your pair of Aces is best.

I think betting the river and folding to a raise would be bad because some player may raise with AT-A7 here. So you're calling a raise if you bet.

I would probably bet and kick myself when I got shown AQ.
Oh well.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop action:
I don't really know what you're doing with this bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes.

[ QUOTE ]

Turn:
I love this bet. Great bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes

[ QUOTE ]
River:
I think I check

[/ QUOTE ]
I wanted to say 'check'. But I couldn't hold back.