Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Ok or nasty?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Hero ($51.40)
UTG ($56.05)
MP ($48.35)
Button ($82.57)
SB ($100.79)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2, SB (poster) calls $1.75, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($8) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $4</font>, Button calls $4, SB folds, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($20) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, UTG folds, Button calls $15.

River: ($50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $30</font>, Hero Calls

Final Pot: $95.40

No real reads, havent been around too long. If Im not mistaken I was getting good odds all along, hence the calls. THe river was a feeble attempt at a blocking bet, and then he rr for what I had left. What was a better option?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Ok or nasty?

Fold preflop, either fold or raise the flop.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:23 AM

I thought I was getting good immediate odds and implied odds pf, and I was closing the action so I felt that calling was ok. On the flop i was getting about 4-1 and I was done with the hand if a club, king or six didnt fall.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 AM

Hands like this are often dominated PF and you are unlikely to get paid off if you hit the flush. So I don't think your odds were that good. Playing it the way you did, I don't mind peeling off another card for $4 on the flop that much. But I open-push the turn if a club or 6 hits.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:34 AM

Ok, I can see it that way. I wasnt playing the K6 to make TP, I was playing it like I would a small PP in the same situation. Villian had AA, and MHING. Villian then proceeds to insult Hero, and hero still cant win jack. Yahoo!
Old 12-05-2005, 01:34 AM

I think the preflop call is fine, it's the flop that seems poor to me. The trick with playing dominated hands in situations like this... is flops like this. I think you need to make a decision right there, and once you hit your 5 outer, well, jam.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:38 AM

I was dumping that so fast if a 6 k or club didnt come, but I cant pass on 4-1 odds in that situation.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:57 AM

I like your hand somewhat. 2 pair is pretty good but nothing to get too excited about. In hindsight I'd probably bet a bit smaller on the turn $8 and then increase the bet on the river $15, thus showing strength all the way thru. The repeat $15 bet on the river may have encouraged him to raise hoping you would fold. Maybe a bet percieved as stronger would have encouraged him to fold.
If a view of your endgame had been factored in to your betting you might not be all in on this river. (As mentioned, hind sight is 20/20.)
Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 AM

Ok, thanks for the help...I cant wait for finals to be over, cause those 3 weeks off will be all poker studying time. Its time to reevaluate cause lately I cant win, and I know its about 65% my fault, 35% other factors, and its time to fix that.