Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 12:31 AM

Default How horribly did I butcher this hand?

First couple of orbits at table. Table has been pretty tight the first couple of orbits, with average vpip ~20 before this hand.

Suggestions for a good line on the flop especially appreciated, but comments on any other streets also welcome.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (17.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

I don't really think leading here does much. I debate check-calling and folding if I don't hit my set/straight, but somehow that line seemed very weak. In retrospect I think I got carried away here though.

Turn: (13.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

River: (16.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB
Old 06-04-2005, 12:36 AM

Default Re: How horribly did I butcher this hand?

I tried as hard as I could, and couldn't come up with a reason to check-raise this flop, or bet out. I think you know that though.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:37 AM

Checkraising this flop. Hmm. It kinda sucks homie. Yeah, definitely. I hate it.

Turn and river are, how shall we say, standard?
Old 06-04-2005, 12:41 AM

You only played one street poorly, but man was it bad... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

The pot is freaking huge on the flop and our hand doesn't look so great on this board. Would be a good time to check and call + reevaluate on 4th street if nothing comes.

If we spike a straight, leading out looks to be our best bet here. The most interesting choice comes if we hit a set. In that case I still like betting out on 4th.

Brad
Old 06-04-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried as hard as I could, and couldn't come up with a reason to check-raise this flop, or bet out. I think you know that though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn, I was hoping one of you guys could come up with something good [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Sorry, I guess this is kind of a low-content post.

At the time, with the pot being big, I had some vague thought of not wanting to fold the best hand, and since no one but the preflop aggressor had showed any interest, I thought I'd raise in case my hand was still good.

In retrospect that seems pretty terrible since I don't think there are any 3-betting hands that I'm ahead of at the moment.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:45 AM

You were obviously beat on the flop, seems more like a pretty questionable value bet on your end. But the math is pretty much there, i think.
I'm assuming you would have jumped ship on a blank turn card? Im reading AK KK somewhere in there.

Im new so you can throw me under the bus, but I probably would have went for the check-call and fold if no help on the turn.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:49 AM

I don't like capping with JJ, but that's a personal thing. The check/raise flop is atrocious, though, as everybody already pointed out. You suckout g00t. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like capping with JJ, but that's a personal thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even multi-way? I think it might be close HU, but with a couple extra limpers padding the pot it seems straightforward to me.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If we spike a straight, leading out looks to be our best bet here. The most interesting choice comes if we hit a set. In that case I still like betting out on 4th.

[/ QUOTE ]
Meh. The problem with that is anyone with a T owns us for free (but at least we have outs against that). On top of that, there is a very real likelihood that someone else already has a set, and if you spike a J you gain a grand total of one out, but make a very expensive second-best hand.

I would just check call the flop (and probably the turn, if you have the pot odds) barring any heat (which may very well be coming).

-K