Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2004, 08:03 PM

Default 15/30 NL Holdem 3 hands for review

Went home for the weekend from college and met up with a friend last night. He brought me to a home game up state. To my surprise it was a 15/30 $5,000 buyin cash game. I've never played no limit with so much money or stacks near this deep, nor do I really have a bankroll to play in it, so I told him I'd just sit and watch.
After 45 mins of one LAG cleaning up the table against 5 weak tight players (including my friend whose a poor excuse for a poker player) I decided to sit down and play. The night rolls along fine till this hand:
6 handed
Hero 6,520
LAG Over 8,000
BB 3,000

I'm dealt KTs of diamonds UTG. Hero Calls, folds to Lag on the button, who Raises to 60. BB calls, Hero calls.
Pot: $195

Flop A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, Hero bets $75, LAG Raises $75, BB Calls, Hero calls.
Pot: $645

Turn: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB Checks, Hero checks, LAG bets $150, BB Calls, Hero reraise to $650, Lag Calls, BB folds.
Pot: 1,945
River:
2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets $400, Lag goes all in and has Hero Covered, Hero Folds.

After long deliberation I folded. I felt LAG had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x preflop, Flopped an Ace over played it, Then proceeded to river a diamond for the nut flush.

Lag showed a trash Hand K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], giving him a 7 high flush.
I still feel my fold was correct, but maybe it as just the money getting to me. I know this guy is super aggressive, but if im wrong its my whole stack. Maybe I should have done something differently earlier in the hand? Thoughts

About an hour later this hand came up:
LAG 9,500
Hero(button) 4,300
SB 4,000
BB 2,100

Lag UTG bets to $100. Fold to Hero (on the button), Hero raises to $250 with AA, SB Calls, BB Calls, Lag Calls.
Pot:$1000

Flop: A 7 6 rainbow

Lag bets $1,000, SB folds, BB goes ALL in, Hero goes all in. LAG after long though Folds AT face up. Hero has Trep Aces, BB 2 pair 6's and 7's.
Pot: 6,200

Turn and River blanks

My question about this hand is did I play my stack correctly. Preflop should have I raised more. I thought about raising $500, but didn't cause I wanted calls. I also question my flop play should have I just called the BB? Thoughts?

Last hand

10 minutes to go before the end of the night, and this hand comes up now 4 handed.

Hero (in the BB) 14,300
LAG (on the button) 4,500
UTG 3,000

UTG calls, LAG raises to 100, SB folds, Hero has 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Hero calls, UTG calls.

Pot: $315

Flop: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero checks, BB bets $500, Lag reraises $500, Hero Calls, BB moves all in, LAG moves All in, Hero calls
Pot: 12,315 (9,315 in pot1 3,000 in pot2)
BB has JJ, Lag has 9 10 offsuit (LOL)
Turn:3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero wins 3,000 with a flush Queen high
BB wins 9,315 with a full house Jacks over queens

At the time I saw the pot size, and felt Like it was a must call. Upon reflection, What if my flush draw isn't live, What if Lag has Axs? Any thoughts?

Finished The night up $9,100, so the night was pretty successful. Any advice on playing this big or this deep of stacks appreciated. I won't be playing this big for a while, so plenty of time to reflect on my play.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:08 PM

Default Re: 15/30 NL Holdem 3 hands for review

In the first hand, the pot is so big, and hes a LAG you have to consider calling. You dont have to be right even 1/2 the time to make a profit.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:18 PM

I guess that's the issue with playing with scared money (not in a derogatory sense, but in a practical one... you probably couldn't play on if you went broke here): additional considerations outside of EV.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:38 PM

In hand 2, going all in over the top of the BB's all in is just awful. I mean, that is a big big mistake.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the first hand, the pot is so big, and hes a LAG you have to consider calling. You dont have to be right even 1/2 the time to make a profit

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, if I was playin in my usual 5/5 or 5/10 nl game, a call would have been easy here. If I'm wrong I just rebuy. But If I was wrong here there was no rebuy for me to pull out of my pocket. I didn't expect the buyin to $5000, so I only brought about $7,000. Your definately right though a call is a very profitable play. By the way nice new avatar, its about time!!! lol

[ QUOTE ]
I guess that's the issue with playing with scared money (not in a derogatory sense, but in a practical one... you probably couldn't play on if you went broke here): additional considerations outside of EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, This was the biggest problem in hand #1. I really should have never put my self into this position, the profitable play was to call.

[ QUOTE ]
In hand 2, going all in over the top of the BB's all in is just awful. I mean, that is a big big mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly I must have been a little over excited, I'd usually just call with top treps on the flop in this situation. Upon reflection I should have doubled through the Lag on this hand. If I smooth call, he would have also, and he would have called the remainder of my chips on the turn when a blank fell.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:33 PM

Sure you should have just called in hand 2, but you're sure
LAG's gonna call too if you smooth call? That seems pretty terrible to me. I know he's LAG and everything, but you re-raised preflop then called an all-in on an A hi flop. AT is obviously not good here.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LAG's gonna call too if you smooth call? That seems pretty terrible to me. I know he's LAG and everything, but you re-raised preflop then called an all-in on an A hi flop. AT is obviously not good here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the stack sizes and reconsider this.
Old 10-02-2004, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

More of an assumption sorry. His long hesitation after I reraised all in lead me to believe he would have called if I just called. It seemed all night if there was to be a big pot to be played he wanted to be a part of it (ie hand #3 the LAG's got an open ended striaght and he has no problem moving allin)
Old 10-02-2004, 10:45 PM

Given your description of this player, and the fact that the all in raise did not even double his initial bet, no way he's going to fold top pair here.
Old 10-02-2004, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still feel my fold was correct, but maybe it as just the money getting to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

How could this fold EVER be correct against the player you described? Your hand and the pot are both too big and your opponent's push on a wildly obvious scare card doesn't seem like a move designed to get a call. Most LAGs still like to get paid on their really big hands.

SpaceAce