Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Filet-o-Fish

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you can substitute mayo for the tarter. You can get it anyway you want. Hell, they'd put big mac sauce on it if you wanted them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Mac sauce eh? Intriguing.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Filet-O-Fish is the only McDonald's item I've ever eaten, and I can't imagine anything better.

[/ QUOTE ]
i call BS on this
Old 12-23-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why do people insist on knowing what type of meat they are eating, ex. beef, pork, venison, etc., but will eat any type of fish, as in a fish sandwich. Why can they sell a fish sandwich but not a meat sandwich?

[/ QUOTE ]
um, mcdonalds doesnt tell you what kind of meat they are using, so in essence, they are selling a "meat sandwhich". btw, im pretty sure its kangaroo meat.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:29 PM

Friday December 17, 2004 Previous | Next

Dear Yahoo!:
Is the fish sandwich at McDonald's made of real fish?
Fishing for Answers

Dear Fishing:
McDonald's appears to be the subject of more mythology than the Greek god Apollo. Remember the rumor about the complete lack of milk in the shakes? Not true. Yet your question remains: is there something fishy about the fish?
An ingredient list at McDonald's specifies the following for their "Filet-O-Fish": fish filet patty, bun, tartar sauce, pasteurized processed American cheese, and seasoning. Still, any product with such a poor spelling of "fillet of fish" bears further scrutiny.

So we waddled over to DietRiot.com, where we found the F-O-F contains pollock or hoki, both of which, though not exactly seafood superstars, do qualify as actual fish.

Maybe the real question ought to be: what else does the Filet-O-Fish contain besides the fish? The caloric ratio of the sandwich is 46% fat, 39% carbs, and just 15% protein. Take another look at DietRiot, and you'll notice, in addition to the "foaming agent" dimethylpolysiloxane, several partially hydrogenated oils, which produce trans fat.

The Filet-O-Fish is also cited in an obesity lawsuit against the company. Of course, the world's largest fast food chain does have its fans. So if you want to make the Filet-O-Fish at home, go right ahead. Just remember, when adding dimethylpolysiloxane, season to taste.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:43 PM

i grew up in a family that kept a small degree of kosherness, in that we didn't eat meat unless it was strictly kosher, but fish was not a big deal.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why do people insist on knowing what type of meat they are eating, ex. beef, pork, venison, etc., but will eat any type of fish, as in a fish sandwich. Why can they sell a fish sandwich but not a meat sandwich?

[/ QUOTE ]
um, mcdonalds doesnt tell you what kind of meat they are using, so in essence, they are selling a "meat sandwhich". btw, im pretty sure its kangaroo meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure a "beef patty" isn't made of kangaroo.

McD's Ingredients Page
Old 12-24-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure a "beef patty" isn't made of kangaroo.

McD's Ingredients Page

[/ QUOTE ]
keep believing everything you read on the net
Old 12-25-2005, 03:29 PM

Default Tried it

So, I tried a Filet-O-Fish, no cheese, and with mayo instead of tartar sauce. It was surprisingly good.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i grew up in a family that kept a small degree of kosherness, in that we didn't eat meat unless it was strictly kosher, but fish was not a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
hard to believe not once did you get any fries, or never picked up a filet value meal
Old 12-25-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, you can substitute mayo for the tarter. You can get it anyway you want. Hell, they'd put big mac sauce on it if you wanted them to.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting. Next time I'm going to try that. Heck if they can put it on a Monte Cristo and make it just about the best fast food sammy in the world, it should taste good on fish.