Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Law School

I'd avoid law school. From the look of things, I see you more in the service industry. Like fast food.

[censored] Michigan.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And yes I am wasting time at work. As for making a valid point... meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great! Glad we agree.

[ QUOTE ]
As for snide posts, why do you do it? I just think you're kind of a douche. Maybe that's accurate and maybe not, but it's my read given this thread (which is all I can recall ever reading from you.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes. Hope you don't play poker with those reads.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:04 AM

After reading your posts in this thread, I'd like to anoint you "official genius of OOT." You clearly understand what you are talking about.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Is this smoothcall?

[ QUOTE ]
Some exceptions might be made if the firm is in Houston. If you go to UH, forget about working for a big firm not in Houston.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the key point. the legal world is unbelievably snobby. that UH student couldn't get a interview at a big name firm in NYC, just how a Brooklyn Law student isn't going to get hired at a big time Houston firm. Big name schools will help on a national level, while smaller name schools will only really help on a regional level.

There are obviously exceptions to this, but this how it works for the most part.

AFter one has been working for a while and has been able to make a name for themselves, this isn't as true anymore. Its just graduates from different schools do not start on a level playing field and those from 'lesser' schools have to play catch up.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Life is way too fukin competative; everyone just needs to relax.

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed. There are some people in law school who think like this, but not many.

[ QUOTE ]

So, I'm wondering, to those in Law School or those who went to one, does it suck?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah, I think so.
It depends, I guess. You can make some good friends, like in any professional/ post graduate school. But it's not exactly fun.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it pretty much all work with very little time to do whatever the hell you want? Are the majority of students Type A personality shmucks?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, yes it is. There are very few cool people in law school.
[ QUOTE ]

A quote from one of the speakers was something to the extent of, "You'll work very hard, and occasionally you'll have fun." Now, obviously these speaker dudes get off on trying to intimidate people, but I have heard similar rumors previously.

[/ QUOTE ]You work as hard as you want to. Obviously, people in law school are above average intelligence and are used to succeeding without much work. So, when you force them to compete against each other it ups the ante quite a bit.

The whole competition thing inhibits learning and growth, if you ask me. And the rigid law school system churns out depressing robots.

I think there are some schools that have changed the method so you should look there.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:42 PM

First off, I have not read any of the replies, so if this may have already been said. I heard that a lot of times for law school, medical school, and maybe even other graduate programs (such as MBAs etc...) that they try to scare you. That is, they try to scare people to weed out the week and find out who really wants to become a doctor, lawyer, nurses, etc... My aunt is a nurse and went through similar things at nursing school seminars, and a friend of the family is a doctor and said that at the med school seminar the speakers said things like "95% of you in this rooom will never become doctors." It sorta reminds me of when I used to play high school basketball. During tryouts the coach worked us so hard because he wanted to see who would stick around. The first day of tryouts we would do so much running, and then on day 2, many of the kids wouldn't show up. And since there is only 3 days of tryouts, if you miss one day you are pretty much gauranteed to get cut.

Anyway, if you want to be a lawyer, then don't let this stuff scare you because that is what they want to happen. A friend of a friend who is currently in law school said that the first year or two is hell, because they want to push people out of the program. But once you make it through that, then you're in. I think his exact words were, "after the tough part is over, the question is whether you will graduate, or whether you will graduate with honors," because the teachers don't want you to fail after the initial tough part.

Hope this helps your decision making.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 AM

I am a 3L at an ivy league law school.
I promise you the answers to all of your questions are talked about in my Law School Dropout's Poker Blog
Especially the posts I made when I first talked about taking a leave of absence from law school last Fall.
Read it - I think you'll like it.