Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 02:16 AM

Default Advice for runs of dry cards during MTT?

Hey,

I just started playing more MTTs lately, as I have mainly played (and play SNGs). I was able to cash in three out of the 4 tourneys that I played recently. However, I ran into some trouble during the second hour or so as the blinds increased. I went card dead for a period during each of these tourneys, as I'm sure is expected for most toruneys. The problem was that as the blinds increased, both aggressive chipleaders and desperate short stacks made it so that nearly every hand was raised. I was wondering if anyone has any good advice regarding how to maintain or even build your chip stack when the blinds are getting up there and every pot seems to be raised. What tactics do you all take? Is it simply a matter of being patient and riding the storm out? Any replies are welcome and appreciated.

--Jimmy
Old 10-23-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: Advice for runs of dry cards during MTT?

tournament today, best hands I was dealt in 4 hours was AK once, TT twice, and AJo and worse a few other times. 2nd highest pair was 88 and I got 77 a few times. finished 12th of 970, and I wish I hadn't been carddead because I was basically winning flips/stealing to stay alive.

just raise more in position.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:04 AM

i would assume that you're playing good poker. if you're making the right decisions and just getting unlucky. well, that's poker. you've won a couple playing your game, just improve what you have proved to have made you a winner. don't start overbetting, cold calling, and even lowering your pre flop standards. i'm currently in the same slump. last win was 6 weeks ago. but made the money this morning by just being patient. one thing i did do was played less hands from middle or early position, but played the button strong. got lucky and made it to the final table with less than everyone else. luckily the chip leaders agreed to deal and i made a profit.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:51 PM

If pots are frequently being open-raised and you aren't getting the cards to play back, look for situations that favor a re-steal. This will generally mean a reraise into a stack that isn't pot-committed and will have a difficult time calling, particuarly if they have been open-raising rather liberally. If they're paying attentino, they may notice you aren't playing many hands as well, which increases the chances of a fold.

Hell, play more garbage hands in position and steal against frequent raisers. Whatever it takes to accumulate chips. Don't think the cards are the important thing.