[ QUOTE ]
Based on this 5 year trend, the Astros are bound to win the world series

2000 Yankees
2001 Diamondbacks
2002 Angels
2003 Marlins
2004 Red Sox
2005 Astros

I dont even know why they're bothering to play the series.

[/ QUOTE ]

AL/NL alternating?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wild Cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 2000 Yankees weren't wild card.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Default Re: *****Official Astros-White Sox World Series Thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Based on this 5 year trend, the Astros are bound to win the world series

2000 Yankees
2001 Diamondbacks
2002 Angels
2003 Marlins
2004 Red Sox
2005 Astros

I dont even know why they're bothering to play the series.

[/ QUOTE ]

AL/NL alternating?

[/ QUOTE ]

of course, game over, congrats houston.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:09 PM

The NL has never had a winning record against the AL in the World Series in any decade. The Astros winning would at least give the NL a shot.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this going to be the official world series thread, or are we starting a clean on Saturday? I don't care either way -- just want to get the logistics in order.

Go White Sox!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is it. The Diablo deserves it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. The legend grows, I suppose.

Congrats to Astros fans though. Your team played a good series, and I guess whoever wins at this point will provide a good story.

White Sox in 6.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're pretty much correct on this, although I think in game 2 I saw Astros +138 as the best # available, and in this one I saw +142 and I think +145 may have been available too.

Also keep in mind that Oswalt pitched dominantly in game 2 and the Astros won. You'd think that the line should shift more in Oswalt's direction but instead it went the opposite way. Tons of value on the Astros last night, nice job to all who got money down.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I got +148 which means that the line thought st. louis had a 59.6% chance of beating Oswalt. Huge value there. I've been doing this all playoffs and it's worked to perfection this year - I got great odds against new york, boston, and st. louis for all the different levels (DS, CS, WS) and certain game matchups like last night. Nothing like betting against st. louis to win the pennant at 50% BEFORE the playoffs started...
Old 10-20-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that it will be a great series, but Im not sure you can make a case for the Sox being more mentally tough than we are.

anyone wanna try?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah? Why don't you work on compiling the Astros SAT scores, and I'll work on the White Sox.

Dude, your mental toughness B.S. has been argued against successfully every time you've brought it up on this thread, and it was also pointed out that it most likely doesn't mean squat.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm, actually you're the first one to say anything to it.

umm, see, here's the thing, I play college basketball. I also take 18 hours of classes, and play poker for a living.

so no, I haven't watched chicago. no, I haven't lookerd up their stats. if you read my entire post, you would see that I have nothing but respect for ozzie guillen... amazing manager, should go down in history for what he's done.

I really really, just wanted to know what chi fans thought.

and by the way, if you dont think mental toughness exists,
it's most likely because you're an armchair coach, who hasn't played in any level of competition higher than a parking lot game of grabass.

That having been said, with the information yall are showing me, Im gonna send this to game seven, but still think my stros will take it down, because Im biased... but god are these teams similar.

bu the way... if you're going to disparage what I say... try to do it in a meaningful way... SAT scores? I nkow you were trying to be funny... but thats a stretch
Old 10-20-2005, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ummm, actually you're the first one to say anything to it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw you bring this point up along with the "scrappy" point at least two other times in this thread, with disputes each time.

[ QUOTE ]
umm, see, here's the thing, I play college basketball. I also take 18 hours of classes, and play poker for a living.

so no, I haven't watched chicago. no, I haven't lookerd up their stats. if you read my entire post, you would see that I have nothing but respect for ozzie guillen... amazing manager, should go down in history for what he's done.

[/ QUOTE ]
Before making statements such as this, it would behoove you to know what you're talking about. Making comparisons without basis makes one seem unintelligent.

[ QUOTE ]
and by the way, if you dont think mental toughness exists, it's most likely because you're an armchair coach, who hasn't played in any level of competition higher than a parking lot game of grabass.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think that playing sports at any level is the epitomy of mental toughness, then you're in for a rude awakening once you get finished with the amusement park you're going though now. Playing college ball and taking 18 hours of classes doesn't make one mentally tough -- and playing poker for a living doesn't magnify that. Let me know how you do once you get through with school and you have to go to work for a living. I won't even begin to tell you what I go through on a daily/weekly basis, but suffice to say, it would blow your mind.

[ QUOTE ]
bu the way... if you're going to disparage what I say... try to do it in a meaningful way... SAT scores? I nkow you were trying to be funny... but thats a stretch

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought it was pretty funny... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 03:05 PM

You're totally misunderstanding me. this is a sporting event forum, no? Then why are you discussing mental toughness in the capacity of "real life"?

I did not say that my life is hard. It's easy, and fun. I did not say that college + sports + poker makes me mentally tough.

I said this: Within the sports realm, mental toughness plays a huge part. I have seen the Astros exhibit that time and time again. And that type of toughness is neither emulated by, nor comparable to situations in real life, which is something an armchair quarterback wouldn't understand.

And no, it wouldn't blow my mind. I took two years off before college, and I worked full time, paid bills, and lived on my own. Why is it that every "adult" feels so superior to college students?

and yeah, I guess the SAT thing was clever.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're totally misunderstanding me. this is a sporting event forum, no? Then why are you discussing mental toughness in the capacity of "real life"?

I did not say that my life is hard. It's easy, and fun. I did not say that college + sports + poker makes me mentally tough.

I said this: Within the sports realm, mental toughness plays a huge part. I have seen the Astros exhibit that time and time again. And that type of toughness is neither emulated by, nor comparable to situations in real life, which is something an armchair quarterback wouldn't understand.

And no, it wouldn't blow my mind. I took two years off before college, and I worked full time, paid bills, and lived on my own. Why is it that every "adult" feels so superior to college students?

and yeah, I guess the SAT thing was clever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm basiing my superiority over you on spelling and punctuation. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm not going to get into the "mental toughness" real life vs. sports argument, or the "adults" vs. college kids thing for risk of turning this into an OOT thread. Suffice to say, if your two year sabbatical to work and pay bills is your basis of comparison, then yes I'm even more convinced that it would blow your mind.

Let's just leave it at this. The Astros and the White Sox are both "mentally tough", which is I'm guessing how they made it this far.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:35 PM

I agree completely with you about both teams being mentally tough, I just wanted to hear from the fans of the other side, as I didn't know much about the team.

As for my spelling and punctuation, I guess I didn't realize that such things would be so closely policed on an internet forum.

I suppose that instead of finding errors in your previous posts, which I'm sure exist, I'll just remember that I got a 1540 on my SAT (mental toughness, mmmmm) and remember that grammar nazi's like you will try to dodge questions by pointing out small grammatical errors.

Good Game, and sieg heil.