Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 08:00 AM

Default Equality/Equality Edge

Can someone give me a link to the post showing maths/Explanation.

or could you explain how you figure out your equality, Your equality edge.

I need to understand this so im more clued up on when to raise etc.

Thanks in advanced,
POKhER
Old 07-27-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Equality/Equality Edge

Bump for the clever ones, someone must have a link or know the maths+Explain it.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:24 AM

I'd love to help, but I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

Oh, wait... do you mean pot equity? I'm at work but i'll try to dig something up for you.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:01 PM

These might be of some assistance:
Link #1
Link #2
Old 07-27-2005, 12:02 PM

I believe you're asking about equity.

Pot equity is, basically, how much of the pot you expect to win over the long run given a particular set of cards. For instance, we know that pocket aces have a pot equity of about 85% against a random hand. This means that you "own" 85% of the pot. It also means you'll win about 85% of the time in this situation. If you compare this to your "fair share" of the pot, you'll see how this is important. Heads up against a random hand, your fair share of a pot is 50% (you get half, the other guy gets half) but your equity is 85%, meaning you have a big edge over that other player.

There are other types of equity, such as Fold Equity that gets discussed often. This is just the extra value you have when you are first to act and the other player might fold.

For more on pot equity, check out Poker Stove which will allow you to run simulations and show equity.

Regards,

T
Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the links providided guys,

SheridanCat - This is what i was asking, Appreciate the response.

So pot Equality = % your hand wins Vs other hands (I.e. Nuts flush)
Equality = Percentage im putting into when calling/betting? 33% against 3? etc?

Does anyone have links to the math side of this and how to work out these calculations (During play, There fairly useless after play).

Thanks very much guys,
PH.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Equity

[ QUOTE ]

Equality = Percentage im putting into when calling/betting? 33% against 3? etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I'm not sure here. Can you give an example of what your asking for?

[ QUOTE ]

Does anyone have links to the math side of this and how to work out these calculations (During play, There fairly useless after play).

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably won't be able to figure equity at the table. For any particular starting hand you'll probably have a good idea based on what you've simulated before you've reached the table or what you've gleaned from reading. If you study the various starting hand charts in 2+2 books, you'll have a decent sense of the equity of various starting hands. Not to mention, equity is sort of misleading since it doesn't take into account your hand reading, player reads and betting patterns.

More important than equity, at the table, is the ability to calculate your pot odds and compare those to your outs. For basic information on that, check out the poker wiki site and then ask here for anything that's unclear.

Regards,

T
Old 07-27-2005, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You probably won't be able to figure equity at the table. [...] Not to mention, equity is sort of misleading since it doesn't take into account your hand reading, player reads and betting patterns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, at least in limit, equity is a pretty important postflop concept too. You should be aware of the equity of strong drawing hands like flush, straight, and straight flush draws and know when to pump them on the flop and (less often) the turn when you're getting enough callers that it's +EV.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:34 PM

Yeh because right now i seem to be playing wrong.

Ill give you an example.

I hold A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] X[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],
I call, and 4 others callers(Inc SB/BB).

Flop5 players) 5SB
2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Now i forget the terms used but im putting in 20% of the money, My cards will come in what % of the time? My "Edge" is?

I bet, 4 Callers.

Turn: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Well my flush came in, These guys will all call to the river so now i try get most money in the pot I HAVE THE NUTS.

My main questions are, How do i know my EDGE? When i have the "edge" i make sure maximum moneys goes into the pot as it means i get it over time? How do you calculate the % of time your hands come in?

I just dont understand all the maths.

I FOUND A LINK TO A GOOD EXPLANTION:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...art=2&vc=1
(See grunchcans post)

But now i need an explanation on the maths side? Why is it Outs x 2?

As its 12% and his share = 20% that must mean he should fold? Isnt he losing everytime he calls?

Hopefully this is clear.
Thanks,
POKhER
Old 07-27-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Actually, at least in limit, equity is a pretty important postflop concept too. You should be aware of the equity of strong drawing hands like flush, straight, and straight flush draws and know when to pump them on the flop and (less often) the turn when you're getting enough callers that it's +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you give an example of how equity would be used in the way you mention? I only ask because I think one can do the same thing more accurately using odds and outs, but I could be totally wrong and would like to understand what you mean.

Regards,

T

Edit: When I say "more accurately" above, I mean more accurately at the table in the heat of battle. I'm sure it could be done more accurately yet away from the table.