Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 08:44 PM

Default WSOP ME theoretical hand

This is something that I've always wondered about and I wonder if someone with some experience of major live events can enlighten me.

One of the earlier levels, solid players, average stacks. EP makes a standard raise with AA/KK, LP calls it with medium pair (does that seem reasonable?). Disjointed, rainbow flop on which LP hits his set. In an online tournament with small starting stacks EP will, more often than not, go bust here. How does this type of hand play out and at what point can EP (in terms of chips) get away from his hand?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:51 PM

Default Re: WSOP ME theoretical hand

as always, it depends. although I think you have named a situation in which the average internet player playing his first big event will go broke, while the seasoned pro will often survive, not because he lays the hand down always, but because he will slow down and recognize a situation where if he continues to bet hard he will only be called by hands that beat him. So perhaps he bets and gets raised, calls and then check calls the turn and river where an internet player would get it all-in on the flop.

What's tricky now is that many players who aren't used to playing deeps stacks overplay their hand, so where before folding AA wouold be quite possible in these spots, now it is more likely you are up against a worse overpair. So, sometimes you go broke and sometimes you squeek by, but folding is much much tougher.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:06 PM

...and for more information, call 1-800-HYPOTHETICALSITUATIONSARETOUGHTOGIVEADVICEON
Old 07-05-2005, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as always, it depends. although I think you have named a situation in which the average internet player playing his first big event will go broke, while the seasoned pro will often survive, not because he lays the hand down always, but because he will slow down and recognize a situation where if he continues to bet hard he will only be called by hands that beat him. So perhaps he bets and gets raised, calls and then check calls the turn and river where an internet player would get it all-in on the flop.

What's tricky now is that many players who aren't used to playing deeps stacks overplay their hand, so where before folding AA wouold be quite possible in these spots, now it is more likely you are up against a worse overpair. So, sometimes you go broke and sometimes you squeek by, but folding is much much tougher.

[/ QUOTE ]

But outside of my sarcastic response, this is pretty spot-on.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:35 PM

I've been playing live tournaments longer than online (and continue to). I thought that would help protect me from this exact type of mistake, however, when I compare the ratio of starting stack size to the initial BB, I find it is actually lower in the live tourneys I play, not larger!

Party SnG : 800 chips / $15 BB = 53
Local Live: 1,800 chips / $50 BB = 36
WSOP : 10,000 chips / $100 BB = 100 - / $50 BB = 200

That is quite a difference!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:34 PM

Thanks for the response, still haven't got my bet on you yet, but good luck. I'm looking forward to the trip report - should be a long one as that's 10 days you're going to have to cover [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). I'll be very interested to hear how cheaply or otherwise good players actually get away from hands like this.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:44 PM

It's a tough situation. I played in the WSOP $2.5k NL event last week. Seidel and Seed are at my starting table. Blinds were 25/50 I believe. Seidel is UTG and makes a really big raise, something like 200-300. Late position player calls as does Seed. Flop comes KTx. MP makes pot size or so bet, Seed calls, Seidel raises I think and MP calls. Blank on turn, MP makes another big raise, Seed folds QQ, Seidel thinks and calls. River blank, MP pushes the rest of his chips, Seidel reluctantly calls with AA (still had a few chips left). Guy turns over TT for three of a kind. It's tough to get away from these hands, especially in this situation since AK was such a likely holding for the opponent.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a tough situation. I played in the WSOP $2.5k NL event last week. Seidel and Seed are at my starting table. Blinds were 25/50 I believe. Seidel is UTG and makes a really big raise, something like 200-300. Late position player calls as does Seed. Flop comes KTx. MP makes pot size or so bet, Seed calls, Seidel raises I think and MP calls. Blank on turn, MP makes another big raise, Seed folds QQ, Seidel thinks and calls. River blank, MP pushes the rest of his chips, Seidel reluctantly calls with AA (still had a few chips left). Guy turns over TT for three of a kind. It's tough to get away from these hands, especially in this situation since AK was such a likely holding for the opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lying. AA v. QQ v. TT only happens on the internet. The web site does this to spice up the action.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:46 AM

You caught me.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You caught me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Busted! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]