Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2005, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Trouble on fourth?

Hello,

I suppose I will make my first post in several months, commenting on this hand.

3rd is an auto re-raise, but you know that so I won't chastise.

4th is an auto fold, and it really isn't even close. ( in your situation ). The sidecards to your Aces are dead and you know you are beaten in at least one place, more than likely two, and probably badly beaten. Get out. Lot's of players wouldn't fold Aces in this spot, then again, lot's of players donate alot of money in Stud.

The original post and situation described is EXTREMEMLY important for players new to stud to study and understand.
If players constantly call in situations described, they will be losers. Sure you will throw away the best hand now and then, but over the long run, you will be much better off folding.
Take Care,

CJ
Old 12-17-2005, 11:06 PM

I definetly don't put Seat 8 on trip twos, there really is not reasonable hand to do this with (except maybe AA2?). A22 and KK2 are other possiblities but once again not likely. Maybe a three flush w/ace of spades?

Re-raising third doesn't accomplish anything but get more money in the pot, if there were some way of knocking out a player that would make sense, but given the action you played it fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 AM

Failing to reraise on 3rd st is horrendous.
I realize that raising "doesn't accomplish anything but get more money in the pot," and that is the point. Hero is likely to be first to act on 4th st with the likely bettor to his immediate left, so it isn't like he can force the field to face a double bet then. He's got the best of it on 3rd and needs to make everyone pay. I see that a couple people have said that not raising is okay, and I am absolutely baffled by this--can anyone explain the thought process behind just calling?

The fold on 4th st is just about automatic. Sad, but true.

Michael