Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 12:25 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Am I nuts?

Ok, I was at a .25/.50 table at Absolute last night. I was doing fairly well, having tripled my $5 buy-in. Near the end of my session, I was in the SB with a pair of 4s, and there were 4 others besides myself entering the pot; it was raised, but since everyone was calling, I figured a small pair was worth the extra bet to see the flop.

The flop came out AAK (suits don't matter), and it was checked around. Turn was a J, and I decided to bet out. Everyone called. Flop was a 7, and I bet again. This time, it goes fold, raise (from the PF raiser), fold, fold. I call; maybe I could've folded there, but given the lack of aggression on the flop and turn, I thought he might be trying to buy the pot at the end, so I put in another BB.

Raiser shows AK for the flopped boat. Well, I shrugged and told myself, "Them's the breaks!" I then typed in "vnh" or some such. A couple of seconds later, the guy who had <font color="red">folded</font> between myself and the raiser typed back, "ty". The guy who actually <font color="red">won</font> the pot said nothing! That brought me up short, and I thought, "Could these two players possibly be the same person, making a mistake and typing his "ty" in the wrong chat box?" I left the table a hand or two later, without putting any more money in.

I emailed support asking if they thought it was worth looking into, and I got back a reply saying, "Our system won't allow two people from the same IP address to play in the same table." and thanking me for playing at Absolute. Well, I can think of a couple of ways for two computers in the same room to be on different IP addresses, so that didn't really give me much comfort.

I know it's a micro table, but it bothers me that they didn't even seem to think about the possibility; he/they could have just been practicing for bigger game later on. Do you guys think I should follow up on this, or am I just being paranoid?

I suppose it's possible I was just mistaken; unfortunately, Absolute's HH doesn't include the chat, so I couldn't double-check that after I left the table (I didn't think to take a snapshot of the chat before then; I thought the HH would have it, or at least that Absolute could and would look it up). I don't think I was mistaken, but I guess I have to allow for that possibility.

-Mike
Old 12-23-2004, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Am I nuts?

I type TY all the time like that when people aren't talking to me.

My favorite is when I've just sat down and haven't played a hand yet and someone types NH in regards to the previous hand and I'll say something like "thx wasn't sure if it was gonna hold up" or some such. You'd be suprised how many people don't even realize it wasn't my hand but try to continue a conversation.

So I think it was just someone f'in with you.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:18 PM

Yeah, that guy went to all the trouble of setting up two computers with different IP addresses so he can OWN the .25/.50 game.

He also does really tricky stuff like not betting his flopped nut boat, so he "gains" an extra .50 bet on the river.

Some people call him "nuts" for wasting his time, but someday he will own the world!
Old 12-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that guy went to all the trouble of setting up two computers with different IP addresses so he can OWN the .25/.50 game.

He also does really tricky stuff like not betting his flopped nut boat, so he "gains" an extra .50 bet on the river.

Some people call him "nuts" for wasting his time, but someday he will own the world!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh.... Yeah, I thought about that. But then I thought that if someone were just starting out on a scam like that, they might want to test the waters in micro games and work out any kinks before investing serious money into it.

Ah, well; maybe I am delusional. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 12-23-2004, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I type TY all the time like that when people aren't talking to me.

My favorite is when I've just sat down and haven't played a hand yet and someone types NH in regards to the previous hand and I'll say something like "thx wasn't sure if it was gonna hold up" or some such. You'd be suprised how many people don't even realize it wasn't my hand but try to continue a conversation.

So I think it was just someone f'in with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks; that was a possibility I hadn't considered. Yeah, I think that does make a lot of sense; you're probably right. I've been reading too many conspiracy theories lately, I guess. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

-Mike