Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 01:39 PM

Default Re: SNG bubble strategy (slight vent)

[ QUOTE ]
He forced out the best hand. That's what's fun about having the most chips.

Why would you want to win a $0 pot?

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

To maintain a bubble situation where you can steal with abandon? That seems to be the only reason I can think of.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't a $0 pot. It was a T2400 pot. If you can push the best hand out and still beat the small stack, it's obviously good. But if you can choose between giving the pot to the bubble or to the 3rd place, giving it to the bubble isn't a bad choice either.

This may very well be a +EV play, I believe.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:06 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Thanks, everyone!

I see my mistake now. I was assuming that the top stack had the same interest in getting rid of the bubble as I did - not so! I think I need to adjust my own ideas about how to approach the bubble when I'm the top stack. I usually try to use others in the pot to help me get rid of him, and don't push them off; I think those who suggested that bullying the short stacks is +EV make a very good point. I personally don't care who gets knocked out first (unless it's me, obviously!), but keeping short stacks around to steal their blinds is a nice option.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 08-31-2004, 07:50 PM

Default Re: Thanks, everyone!

[ QUOTE ]
I see my mistake now. I was assuming that the top stack had the same interest in getting rid of the bubble as I did - not so! Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly. And btw, while I think 600 is a little too much to pay, I think calling in this situation can be good. In the first place, sometimes big stacks do play ball. In the second, you very much want the short stack out. While it may not be in the big stack's interest to see him go, it is very much in yours.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:53 PM

He has ace high, there is a reasonable chance its good. There is a lot of money in the pot, if there is even a 25% chance he will win against the lone allin player, its probably in his interest to knock out the other guy from the pot.
He really doesn't care at all about knocking out the other player with his chip situation. What he cares about is maximizing his chances to win the pot...and making a tiny bet did this.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He forced out the best hand. That's what's fun about having the most chips.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstand. I want to win the T2400 when I don't have the best hand(probably when my Ace high is good too). And - I might spike my overcard, anyway. But in this situation, it worked out for me(since I'm speaking as the bully), because I've now got a good chance at that T2400 whereas before my raise I was behind.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:27 PM

If I'm the big stack I dont mind to keep the bubble in play...I do get pissed if I'm in your position though haha
Old 08-31-2004, 03:17 PM

I'm not sure why no one has told you should've folded pre-flop. The shortstack is is all-in against the bigstack and you call with J4?? Then you get the flop you want and you fold!

What was the point of calling preflop if you weren't going to play that flop?
Old 08-31-2004, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure why no one has told you should've folded pre-flop. The shortstack is is all-in against the bigstack and you call with J4?? Then you get the flop you want and you fold!

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely a valid point. This is probably best folded PF.

And it is even more a fold if you are going to fold Top Pair on the flop. What more can you ask from J4o than top pair crappy kicker?
Old 08-31-2004, 04:45 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Well, yes, I should have. But when the button merely called the shortstack, I thought he was basically inviting anyone who thought they could to help him knock out the bubble. I figured if he didn't want company, he'd have raised. So, it goes back to my original error of thinking that the button and I had the same idea about the bubble. My attitude towards that situation has been that I want more people in the pot to increase the chances of knocking out the bubble. J4o is a crappy hand, but that late in the game, with the bubble likely feeling desperate about the blinds coming to eat his stack, I decided that it was worth a potshot with a high card/bad kicker. If I'd pegged the button's approach correctly in the first place, I'd have stayed out of it from the start; as it was, I was expecting him to play patty-cake with me so that one of us might knock the other guy out. Then when he raised, I thought he was telling me, "Go away, I can take him all by myself".

An example of the thinking of one who still has much to learn, I'm afraid. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Mike