Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2004, 12:26 PM

Default Late in a tournament, dealt Q,9os, short stack, first to act

Looking for some advice on this scenario- it was late in a tournament, I had a very low stack(1200 chips to everyone else's 6000-20000 chips), BB was 300, dealt Q,9os, I was the first to act and being the shortest stack at the table every time I called from early position someone in late position would raise me to all in. Folded the hand, 3-4 people called, flop comes up 9,9,7; winnner takes a $5000 pot with 2 pair- 9's and I believe 4's. Then about 10 hands later I get the same hand; this time I am third to act, still playing with a very short stack, aggressive players behind me, I rationalize that it is still the right call to fold; as I will most likely be raised to all in and would rather wait for a stronger hand to go all in. Flop comes up Q,Q,8- winner takes a $6000 pot with 2 pair, Q's and 5's.

I would like to know how others would play this hand. It seems more feasable to call this in late position with no raises. Additionally I would be interested to hear what you would play on a short stack, in an early position. I know for some people- with a stack this small; its either all in or fold.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Late in a tournament, dealt Q,9os, short stack, first to act

is Q9 the best hand you had gotten in 2 orbits? i normally only play sit and goes, but i don't think there is any hand i'd call with in your position. i'd push in and try to double up or steal the blinds.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:45 PM

You can't look at the way the hands ended up. Never ever. It is completely useless. You were right to fold those hands and the way the flop came should not change your mind. You should not be second guessing those folds. You have some time to find a hand. Don't play anything from early position that you wouldn't normally play. If you want to go for the double up look for pocket pairs and other big starting hands. A-x suited is a boarder line hand but can be played (just know there will be a great chance that a caller will have you dominated). Blind stealing will have a great effect on your stack so it is all-in or nothing at this point. If you're down to the felt and need to go all-in... any pocket pair, any 2 cards that add to 20 (blackjack stlye K-T, J-Q,...), any suited connector (7-6 or higher if possible), and any hand containing an Ace. Many players have different thoughts on this subject but these are some of the things that have worked for me.

*notice Q-9 was not on my list of playable all-in hands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2004, 04:16 AM

you should not be limping late in a tournament, especially with a short stack.