Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 09:36 PM

Default 2/5 NL MGM hand, huge pot

villain 1 is decent but ABC player, stack ~$600.

villain 2 is horrid calling station, will pay almost any price to hunt down gutshots/flushes etc. The night before he lost $2000 in 90 minutes at my table. stack ~$400. Not tricky in any way.

I have $900. I have been involved in a fair # of pots and shown down good hands the last two hours.

In BB I have red JJ. Villain 1 limps in MP, V2 in LP calls, I raise to $30, both call, all others fold.

Pot ~$100.

Flop JQ3, two spades.

I bet out $35. V1 minimum raises to $70. V2 calls. I call, now somewhat suspicious of V1's raise. She appears rather excited.

Pot ~$310.

Turn 9 hearts, board is JQ9s, two spades.

I bet $100, V1 pushes ~$500, V2 thinks briefly and calls all- in his last ~$300.

What do I do?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: 2/5 NL MGM hand, huge pot

you're getting a semi reasonable price here to chase down your boat, if your read is right i'd assume you're against bottom and and a made straight or superdraw... this is actually close imho, if you feel like you are beating V1 you can lean closer to calling with 200$ waiting for you in the side pot, i'd really have to feel i could be beat by V1 to fold this, that side pot gives you a cushion to chase down the main pot
Old 06-27-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villain 1 is decent but ABC player, stack ~$600.

villain 2 is horrid calling station, will pay almost any price to hunt down gutshots/flushes etc. The night before he lost $2000 in 90 minutes at my table. stack ~$400. Not tricky in any way.

I have $900. I have been involved in a fair # of pots and shown down good hands the last two hours.

In BB I have red JJ. Villain 1 limps in MP, V2 in LP calls, I raise to $30, both call, all others fold.

Pot ~$100.

Flop JQ3, two spades.

I bet out $35. V1 minimum raises to $70. V2 calls. I call, now somewhat suspicious of V1's raise. She appears rather excited.

Pot ~$310.

Turn 9 hearts, board is JQ9s, two spades.

I bet $100, V1 pushes ~$500, V2 thinks briefly and calls all- in his last ~$300.

What do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmm . . . call?
Old 06-27-2005, 09:44 PM

If the ABC villain min raised you and looked excited, I push all in when it gets back to me.

She either has a set and if so, theres a much better chance its 33 than QQ since she is ABC and didnt raise preflop...or she has a straight and flush draw...or an actual str8 flush draw. Shes not folding any of those hands.

Anyway, Im calling.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:40 PM

Humm...

What would a decent ABC poker player limp and call a raise with?

I guess the big question is if she is gun shy or not.

A gun shy player might be afraid of AK (suited spades?) and limp call. Might be QQ afraid of an ace or king on the flop, hits her set and now its time to pump it.

If she is not gun shy 33, QJ, KQ, A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] are all likely hands, same for V2. If she had QQ you might reasonablely expect a RR PF.

So if your answer is "she is gun shy" muck'em, if your answer is "she is not gun shy" get your chips in there.

I dont think, based on your discription of V2 he is not a factor for winning the hand, unless he draws lucky to the flush or straight ("well I already have half my chips in there anyway, might as well go for it" type of thought).
Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 AM

Your flop bet sucks, and your flop call sucks. You particularly need to re-raise big since V2 flat-called. If V1 has QQ (very unlikely as others have pointed out) so be it. I'd probably call on the river, but your chips should have been in long before that.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:15 AM

You call.

Why did you bet $35 into a $100 pot w/2 face cards and 2 spades on the board? I would have bet at least $80.
And why did you just call the minraise? That is a scary board for your set w/2 opponents.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:07 AM

I'd have reraised the minimum raise on the flop. You're behind against QQ here, and that's it. Scare cards on the turn include 11 spades, 3xT, 3xK, and potentially even 3x9 and 3xA. Not to mention, another Q hitting kind of sucks on the off chance you're against QJ or Q3.

I'd make it $150 more when it got back to me on the flop. What does "suspicious" mean? If it means you think villain has QQ, why are you calling? You're either way ahead or way behind. The more I think about this flop call, the more it baffles me. If villain likes the hand, either it's QQ or it's not. Decide for yourself, and either fold to the minraise or get every chip in the middle cause you're going to get called.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:39 AM

Uhhhh...call. Your best-hand equity plus your suckout equity are way more than enough for a call here.

You should have gotten more money in on the flop.

The Bear
Old 06-28-2005, 01:41 PM

It's difficult to overstate how much this flop line sucks. You have one player that will chase "any draw" on this board, so you give him good odds to chase by underbetting the pot? You have another player that limped preflop, raised the flop, and you don't take the opportunity to get it all in right now? Half of the remaining deck limits or kills your action on the turn or the river.