Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 06:05 PM

Default is this a bad call?

very first hand of a 5/10 no limit game. I have a/2 s in the BB. one caller, small blind folds. Flop comes 2/2/5. Check from villain....I bet 45.00. He raises to 160.00. I call. Turn comes a 9, he goes all-in for a thousand dollars, no flush on the board...I call. Turn blank. He was trying to push me out with a q/5. I doubled up, then the guy says, "I hope you dont do this for a living" I replied, "likewise". I think the only mistake that I made was not re-raising on the flop to get a better feel for what he had, but I also think that by a cold call, I induce the all-in on the turn. What do you think
Old 06-28-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Re: is this a bad call?

how does the villain check before you if you're first to act
Old 06-28-2005, 06:13 PM

Your hand post doesn't make sense. You are in position from the BB when the SB folds? Whaa?

Ignoring that....

The only hands that you are beat by are overfulls, and the very unlikely 25 or 29.

On the other hand....

The only hands that he would be pushing would be a 2, a full house, an overpair, or a bluff.

The only 2s that make any sense at all are 23 and A2.... MAYYYYBE K2s...

At this point, it's pretty player dependant. I can't really imagine a sane player pushing with an overpair here. I think you're beat a very large percentage of the time, against sane players, I think this might be a fold.

Against idiots who open limp with Q5... I call instantly.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:16 PM

yeah, i got confused when writing the hand post, but either way, the only thing I was dodging was 5/2 or 5/5, more so 5/5 because I was new to the table and thats the only limp hand out there to raise with except maybe 6/6, 7/7, or 8/8
Old 06-28-2005, 06:30 PM

BTW, I think flop call is fine, you are likely way ahead here, and can extract more by calling than you would with a raise. Villian is probably drawing at 2 outs, and will very likely lead the turn, then you can either push, or smooth call again and wait for the river.

If you three bet the flop, sane villian will fold anything except a 2, or a boat against the BB in an unraised pot.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your hand post doesn't make sense. You are in position from the BB when the SB folds? Whaa?

Ignoring that....

The only hands that you are beat by are overfulls, and the very unlikely 25 or 29.

On the other hand....

The only hands that he would be pushing would be a 2, a full house, an overpair, or a bluff.

The only 2s that make any sense at all are 23 and A2.... MAYYYYBE K2s...

At this point, it's pretty player dependant. I can't really imagine a sane player pushing with an overpair here. I think you're beat a very large percentage of the time, against sane players, I think this might be a fold.

Against idiots who open limp with Q5... I call instantly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone pushing all in there is not likely to have a 2 or a boat. That would be even more idiotic than open limping with Q5. Theres no way you can fold this.

If he has you beat, thats what bankrolls are for. Its much more likely to be an overpair or some moron pushing Q5.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Hero cold calling that re-raise on the flop screams monster to me. I would definately consider a push here, as the villian, with a boat.

I very frequently see people push huge overbets with big hands, more frequently than bluffs, as of late.
Old 06-28-2005, 06:59 PM

Against an unknown, or a LAGgy player, I also call, btw.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:02 PM

I think the only mistake you made was saying 'likewise'.