Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: How do you tell your girlfriend she\'s a pig?

Double standard much:

[ QUOTE ]
Also, I'm pretty much a slob myself, 90% of the clothes I own are b-day or x-mas gifts or free stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I think it's a bad thing mind you, but it's kinda harsh to expect her to care about her appearance when you do not.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that I think it's a bad thing mind you, but it's kinda harsh to expect her to care about her appearance when you do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasonable point, and it's a large part of why I never brought it up directly. However, if I were to receive negative comments about my appearance, I would not be offended and would ask for suggestions. I can say with almost complete certainty that her reaction would have been purely defensive.

Also, for the record, neither of us were getting fat. It was purely a clothing/hair/grooming issue.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's kinda harsh to expect her to care about her appearance when you do not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. What's your point? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 02:05 PM

Maybe she'll find someone out there who cares about their own appearance, and won't just act less and less attracted to her without giving her a reason...people say "nh" and "well played", but unless your goal was to get her to leave you...well, ya messed up.

Easiest tip for the situation you were in: especially since you don't give a rat's ass about your wardrobe (and it could probably use a little upgrade), just tell her you're thinking about changing your look a little and ask her if she'd go shopping for some new clothes with her, you'd like her opinion. She'd have seen that as an effort on your part to change your style up a bit, and women will do anything for an excuse to go shopping. While you're out, pass by the women's clothes section or a hair salon and mention how you think a certain item or haircut would look on her. If she cares (cared) what you think (thought) there's a really good chance she'd pick it up a bit.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasonable point, and it's a large part of why I never brought it up directly. However, if I were to receive negative comments about my appearance, I would not be offended and would ask for suggestions. I can say with almost complete certainty that her reaction would have been purely defensive.

Also, for the record, neither of us were getting fat. It was purely a clothing/hair/grooming issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if she was just trying to "fit in" with you as far as your clothing style?

Some women do that.

I dunno man, I'd probably have said something, but I'm pretty damned honest. Either way, kinda a bad situation to be in.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:26 PM

"Hey girlfriend, your a pig"
Old 05-26-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the record, the strategy I adopted was to just act a lot less attracted to her and hope she'd get the hint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the reason she decided to leave.

[ QUOTE ]
This worked, as she got a ton of new clothes, layered her hair, and even puts on a marginal amount of make-up, but she opted to break up with me before doing all this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with another poster who said this was her marketing the product again. I think you should've said something to her. Something like, "Hey, why don't you do that thing with your hair where it hangs down and has that curl on the ends, etc." or "What happened to that shirt you wear sometimes with the whatever on it, you look really hot wearing that." I think if you'd just say some stupid piddly thing like that, she'd start caring more. As long as you say that she lots more sexy or whatever wearing or doing something else, you don't come across sounding like you're saying she looks like a pig doing what she's doing.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:46 PM

hehe, for some reason this reminds of that Party Poker commercial with the guy sitting outside the dressing room, and his gf/wife comes out and asks how she looks. He's just sitting there with that stoned look on his face. Kinda like he just got check/raised on the river holding a royal flush, mouth hanging open, eyes as big as softballs.

Or that other commercial where the woman asks the guy who's reading the paper, "Does this dress make me look fat?" and the guy doesn't look up, and just says, "You betcha."

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-26-2005, 03:21 PM

Did she start off as a slob? if so, you chose to go out with her then, so why the difference now? If not, maybe she's just regressing to the mean (you).
Old 05-26-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easiest tip for the situation you were in: especially since you don't give a rat's ass about your wardrobe (and it could probably use a little upgrade), just tell her you're thinking about changing your look a little and ask her if she'd go shopping for some new clothes with her, you'd like her opinion. She'd have seen that as an effort on your part to change your style up a bit, and women will do anything for an excuse to go shopping. While you're out, pass by the women's clothes section or a hair salon and mention how you think a certain item or haircut would look on her. If she cares (cared) what you think (thought) there's a really good chance she'd pick it up a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post, you need to get her to get interested in that stuff without even realizing it. You should try this if you want to salvage the relationship or to use in the future.