Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Party NL25 - AA pre-flop - easy re-raise?

Hey guys. Had this hand last night. Don't have the HH with me, but it went something like this.

Party NL25. This is my first circuit. No reads on any of the players involved in this hand.

I'm in MP with AA and have there's one limper when the player to my right raises to $3. Ordinarily this is an absurdly easy re-raise, but the raiser in this case only had a $7 stack. Who calls here hoping one other player comes along? Or is this an auto raise and I'm being silly for thinking otherwise?

I ended up raising to $7 (putting her) all in, all others folded, she called, and I won a "small" pot with the aces.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Party NL25 - AA pre-flop - easy re-raise?

Sucks to have bad position next to the short stack. He already raised 6xBB, so that should be enough to limit the field to semi-legit hands. I'd probably smooth call and hope to get another caller or two. He's limited the field for you, and you have some nice deception value to your hand when an AQ hits a Q high board. Just understand the risks that come with slowplaying the AA.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:11 PM

I would push all in because it looks like you are iso-raising the short stack. Someone with AK / KK etc are going to call in this spot no matter what. There is also a possibility that someone will a good hand (JJ/TT) might think that they can take down your reraise with an all in call and be 3-1 for their money. Other than that, if you reraise you won't see that many callers, but I think its necessary anyway.
Old 07-29-2004, 02:30 PM

I don't think there's any way that JJ or TT will call a reraise to a total of 14xBB. This isn't the same case as simply limping with AA because someone has already limited the field for you. You don't have to worry about the random two pair or low suited connector to have the flop hit you upside the head. Let the dominated hands come in. As long as you're smart enough to get away from too much action, your deception value is much better than the extra $4 you'll make from the short stack.