Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 05:47 PM

Default first hand post.. ATs in big blind

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: is with , . posts a blind of $0.50. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls, (poster) checks, UTG+2 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, billkev calls, UTG calls, folds, UTG+2 folds.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
billkev checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, billkev calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
billkev checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, billkev calls, UTG calls.

River: (13.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
billkev checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, billkev calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB
As the title says, I'm in the big blind with ATs (diamonds).
If there weren't so many callers I probably would have folded to the raise.
I thought about checkraising the flop but decided to wait until the turn. When the jack came I thought I still might have the best hand(middle pair with top kicker and a flush draw) but decided to just call it down for some reason. (I thought anyone beating me would either raise or check raise, which I didn't see) The river I almost bet but decided to let the guy who had led out the whole time do it for me.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: first hand post.. ATs in big blind

i lead this flop. if raised, i call and then lead the turn when i pick up the flush draw, if raised on the turn, check/call the river.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:56 PM

I don't think a CR has much value here. I'd probably lead the flop and hope MP1 raises it for me. The rest of the hand plays a lot differently if you lead this flop.

It seems to me you were looking for an excuse to fold for the whole hand.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:03 PM

Being passive while playing limit is a bad habit i'm trying to work out of... that's probably what you were seeing.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:04 PM

The best way to protect your hand on the flop here is to bet out and hope MP1 raises making it two bets to go for the rest of the table.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being passive while playing limit is a bad habit i'm trying to work out of... that's probably what you were seeing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you picked up a strong draw on the turn, you should lead it and hope to pump up the pot a bit if you hit on the river.

Don't be afraid of the PFR. Its likely that flop missed him by a mile.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't be afraid of the PFR

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the most valuable bits of information I've picked up from SSH and HEPFAP. It is too common in micro games that the flop is checked to the PFR who will almost always bet. I suggest finding their advice on the topic and learning it for yourself. It's massively +EV

-Tim
Old 04-06-2005, 06:12 PM

Don't take this as anything but constructive criticism but you played this hand like a calling station. You are going to allow people with weak draws to hang around and out draw you playing like this. You need to get in the driver seat. Bet the flop, bet the turn - you will be suprised what your weak/tight opponents will do.

As a side - I played very passively when I first started and it wasn't until I started playing at a card club that I started to realize what aggressive play will do. This is because at a live club your opponents will often give you information that you don't get on-line. I can't tell you how many times someone has told me that they folded top pair with a weak kicker to my middle pair raise.

Playing aggressively gets you pots you normally wouldn't pick up and it gets you action on your nut hands as your opponents start to call you down with weaker hands. Take the plunge and get aggressive (although not reckless). I had to read SSH about 5 times before I started going in for the kill.