Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Tricky Situation On the Turn

No reads on any of these guys. Table has been changing players alot.

** Mons [Hold 'em] (1.00|2.00 Fixed Limit - Cash Game) Real Money
- fastoy sitting in seat 1 with $37.50 [Dealer]
- Apanage sitting in seat 2 with $240.12
- SouIPower sitting in seat 3 with $37.25
- ItalianFX sitting in seat 4 with $32.50
- sivorez sitting in seat 5 with $50.00 [Sitting out]
- LugNutt sitting in seat 6 with $75.75
Apanage posted the small blind - $0.50
SouIPower posted the big blind - $1.00

** Dealing card to ItalianFX: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
ItalianFX raised - $2.00
LugNutt called - $2.00
fastoy called - $2.00
Apanage called - $2.00
SouIPower folded

** Dealing the flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Apanage bet - $1.00
ItalianFX raised - $2.00
LugNutt folded
fastoy folded
Apanage raised - $3.00
ItalianFX called - $3.00

** Dealing the turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Apanage bet - $2.00
ItalianFX folded
Apanage mucks

What do I do here on the turn? Should my play on the flop be different?
Old 12-12-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: Tricky Situation On the Turn

flop is fine. You need to call this down though. Did you think he had a 4? What was his other card? What other hands might he play this way?

Krishan
Old 12-12-2005, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do I do here on the turn? Should my play on the flop be different?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without reads, this question is academic at best. You can fold the turn if you want, or call down and make a note on his play. I'd lean toward folding the turn. Against certain players, capping the flop is best, but you don't know if this is one of those situations because you have no reads.

I don't even know why I'm answering this post.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:04 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Thanks for the colors on the cards.

You need to call this down man. If he's got trips, fine, pay him off. Sometimes you'll hit a full on the river, but even when you don't you'll be good often enough to merit a calldown here. You have to have an obscene read on a player to fold the turn (or river) here. Besides, your typical player will NOT fastplay trips, he'll wait until the turn. This makes me think he has a mid to high queen. I expect you'll be losing to AQ far more often than 3x, but it's still worth a call down.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
flop is fine. You need to call this down though. Did you think he had a 4? What was his other card? What other hands might he play this way?

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

When the flop came, he made a bet which I did not expect. When I raised, he immediately reraised, which I took as him waiting for me to raise...inducing my call.

As far as his other card, he called preflop so it could have been A4, K4, 45s, 34s, anything close with a 4 that would merit limping in.

I really don't know what other hands he might play this way. Possibly if he had a small pocket pair given that he limped in.

I need to work on my hand reading a lot better. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 PM

Folding is terrible. Cap the flop. It's 1/2 so call down if he leads the turn.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as his other card, he called preflop so it could have been A4, K4, 45s, 34s, anything close with a 4 that would merit limping in.

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't limp. He CC'ed. He could easily have Qx here.

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't know what other hands he might play this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

AQ,KQ,QJ,QT,Q9,Q8,Q7,Q6,Q5,Q4,Q3,Q2 Of those QJ-Q9 are by far the most likely.

You're giving you opponent to much credit. It seems to be a trend in your posts.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I really don't know what other hands he might play this way. Possibly if he had a small pocket pair given that he limped in.

I need to work on my hand reading a lot better. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't limp, he called your raise from the SB. Hand reading begins with keeping track of the action.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 PM

When I said limp, I meant that he didn't raise, and that he simply called. Cold-Calling would have been the better word. ---Terminology 101---
Old 12-12-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

When the flop came, he made a bet which I did not expect. When I raised, he immediately reraised, which I took as him waiting for me to raise...inducing my call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I asked the questions I did. To help you improve.

First off he cold-called. What kind of hands do people cold call with? Generally mediocre broadway cards (JT, QT, KT) pairs and possibly medium suited connectors (t9s-76s). None of these hands have a 4 in them.

Second, it's not common for fish to fastplay trips. They tend to go for raises on big streets.

Third, they do fastplay mediocre hands if they think they can get a fold out of you. (Which in this case they can) I wouldn't be suprise for Villian to turn over a weak pp, flush draw or a Q weaker than yours. When you folded the turn I'd say you still have over 50% equity in the pot. It's closer to a raise than a fold.

Krishan