Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Hit and Run (Do I have a play?) Lengthy...

was she hot? I bet so and thats why the cop took it light with her.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that this is exactly why he should have been strict with ticketing her.

She either didn't have a licence or just got one, which is all the more reason to set her straight before she does this crap again.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sentiments exactly.

MDoranD

[ QUOTE ]
Show the message to the judge. I think that will definitely add to your case.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the judge has already ruled on the traffic violation. He needs to take the message to the cops, or the DA. The witness tampering, obstruction of justice, or whatever it might be, is a separate crime, and probably considerably more serious than running a stop sign, possibly a felony. Whether it will be prosecuted, and whether they can get a conviction is questionable.

[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine that the cop gave her a break on the hit and run because she did return, and she was young.

[/ QUOTE ]

If one is considered old enough to drive, one should be expected to act responsibly when an accident occurs.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:54 PM

I would let it go.

It's not like they are going to wake up and go WOW I was wrong I'll never do that again.

Spend your valuable time and energy on something positive.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:25 PM

Wow. I wonder how often this happens. My wife got hit-and-run a while ago .. driver in the other lane was asleep at the wheel and swerved into my wife's lane. My wife moved all the way into the median and then off of the road to avoid the other car, honking the horn the whole time. The other car still managed to clip our car. Anyway, the other driver drove away. 30 minutes later, as my wife was filing the police report on the scene, the other car shows up. It's a dad with a 16 yr old girl in tow. The girl claimed she didn't wake up until the stop sign a mile down the road, so she didn't realize that she hit anyone. Riiiiight. So, she was never charged with anything. Her dad did thank my wife for saving his daughter's life, though (a head-on collision probably would've killed the girl .. ditto for running off the road and hitting a tree). Heck, he was even kind enough to pay our insurance deductable (no-fault states are nutso).

The whole thing was crazy. We bought cell phones the day before "just in case we get into a car accident or something." She called 911 and was told that 911 didn't work out there .. she'd have to memorize some other number and call that. The 911 operator couldn't transfer her because of some strange policy. Here's the fun part: when you call 911, your phone gets locked in somehow. I think this is so that they can find your or something. My wife had had the phone for less than 24 hours and had no idea how to unlock the phone. Thus, she had no way to actually call the emergency non-911 number. Luckily for us, one of the other people in her car also had a cell phone. The whole story is nuts.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:02 PM

If you try and dial another # after 911 it will usually ask you to type in a code that it gives you to unlock it. It shouldn't have completely locked her out of her phone. Strange.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would imagine that the cop gave her a break on the hit and run because she did return, and she was young.

[/ QUOTE ]

If one is considered old enough to drive, one should be expected to act responsibly when an accident occurs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I'd cut here some slack for coming back, even if it was because her mother told her to. Nonetheless, the cop should have cited her for leaving the scene. OTOH, the mother calling the OP to tell him the court date was changed was inexcusable.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We live in a no fault society. If no one was injured, what do you expect? And they don't come down that hard on 16 year olds. Kids often flee, and then their Dad sends them back to the scene - I've had this happen to me. Cops don't want to get too involved, no one was injured. People will take advantage of the court system - low consequences of being caught lying. All in all, your situation was quite common.

As long as you were not held responsible, what business of yours is it that the kid got off easy? Or that the judge or the cop didn't really care all that much about a non-injury accident?

Most of you guys want to live in a society of no consequences, where the alcohol and pot and gambling and sex and anything else you want flows freely. So, don't complain with the typical outcome of such a society. This was typical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%. Excellent post.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:08 PM

I think it would be funny if OP posted something like

"haha, jk I hit that bitch and now I'm taking her to the cleaners"