Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: No Fumbles for TOs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This would be my radical change to the game - no such thing as turnovers due to a fumble. I always thought giving the ball to the other team was way too severe a penalty for someone getting a good hit on the ball carrier.

[/ QUOTE ]
So how exactly does your proposal change how this situation is handled? The running back fumbles the ball and the defense pounces on it...then what? They give the ball back to the offense with a 10 or 15 yard penalty? This intrigues me. Is the penalty increased if the defense picks up the fumble and returns it for a TD? Maybe that would make it a personal foul, and the RB would be ejected!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp. Why would the defense pounce on the ball if it didn't mean a turnover?? The RB just gets forward progress to where the ball popped out. It would take the luck factor out of the game and let running backs run harder if they didn't have to worry about a lucky stab knocking the ball out.

Here's the box...think outside of it.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This would be my radical change to the game - no such thing as turnovers due to a fumble. I always thought giving the ball to the other team was way too severe a penalty for someone getting a good hit on the ball carrier.

[/ QUOTE ]
So how exactly does your proposal change how this situation is handled? The running back fumbles the ball and the defense pounces on it...then what? They give the ball back to the offense with a 10 or 15 yard penalty? This intrigues me. Is the penalty increased if the defense picks up the fumble and returns it for a TD? Maybe that would make it a personal foul, and the RB would be ejected!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why this is so hard to grasp. Why would the defense pounce on the ball if it didn't mean a turnover?? The RB just gets forward progress to where the ball popped out. It would take the luck factor out of the game and let running backs run harder if they didn't have to worry about a lucky stab knocking the ball out.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is so stupid, I don't even know how to respond to it. You think that running backs currently aren't running as hard as they should because they're afraid of getting hit hard and fumbling? There's no luck to hammering somebody and making them drop the ball.

BTW...Nice finish to the post, implying that everybody laughing off your idea isthe result of small-thinking on their part. You're truly a trail blazer. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2005, 12:38 PM

Yes, I know a lot of "fumblers" develop holding techniques to prevent fumbles - the 2-handed to the chest method for one. You don't think it hurts their running ability? Try it.

Do you realize you haven't given one concrete reason why fumbles are a great part of football?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you the same guy who proposed that they dump all the water in New Orleans into a landfill?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:01 PM

Priest Holmes: 1973 touches, 15 fumbles (0.76%)
Curtis Martin: 3814 touches, 28 fumbles (0.73%)

Tiki Barber: 2022 touches, 40 fumbles (1.98%)
Travis Henry: 1096 touches, 24 fumbles (2.19%)

So the first two are just lucky, I guess.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Various NFL Rules and Policies Thoughts

I can only presume that you think the long-snapper has his head down, and is looking at the holder when he snaps the ball.

I can assure you that any center who tries that will be DOA before the ball gets to the holder. He will be utterly clobbered.

A long snapper only looks back there not to guage the distance, but to get the signal from the holder to snap the ball. Once he gets the signal, he picks his head up, and looks the nose tackle in the eye while firing a no-look snap to the holder.

Expecting him to be able to do this accurately for varying distances might be asking for a little too much. The pros make these snaps look easy, but it's a much tougher job than the kicker has--the kicker isn't being clobbered as he kicks.

Also, backing up means the defensive ends take a different angle and can rush at the holder from the front, instead of from the flanks, out of harm's way.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Likewise, why don't field goal kickers kick short field goals from 8,9, or 10 yards behind the line?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought the opposite, on long field goals they should set up further back. The problem with long field goals is they get blocked because they need to be kicked at a lower trajectory to make the distance. It they set up 10 yards back the ball has the extra distance to gain height to make it over the line.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:27 AM

First-ever 25-yard penalty: Illegal First Down Signal.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First-ever 25-yard penalty: Illegal First Down Signal.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a player gets 25 yards for signaling a first down, then he should get the firing squad for lobbying for a PI call after a broken-up pass play.

No other sport lets you show up the officials like that.

I can't believe you guys are arguing with the Fumble Abolitionist. His motivation seems clear to me. He is quite sure he would be much more successful in betting on football games, if this randomizing rule was somehow removed. Oh, what a perfect world it would be.

If he ever gets his fumble rule approved, his next goal would be to institute the use of a round ball.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM

I think they should stop letting players take crack or cocaine before games. theres something wrong with all the players beating their chests and spazzing out everytime they convert a first down.