Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Why is the officating in soccer so horrible?

I know that the major American sports have thier problems, but I just watched USA vs. T&T, and I think the refferee was actually trying to slant the game in T&T's favor.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Why is the officating in soccer so horrible?

It's because in soccer the game doesn't stop every 30 seconds for 5 minutes to disect it from every angle. Otherwise it would be boring.
Old 08-18-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's because in soccer the game doesn't stop every 30 seconds for 5 minutes to disect it from every angle. Otherwise it would be even more boring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2005, 02:18 PM

that offsides call on twellman was just criminal. I don't think that it was slanted one way though, cause the red card that the T&T player got on the harsh side
Old 08-18-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
that offsides call on twellman was just criminal. I don't think that it was slanted one way though, cause the red card that the T&T player got on the harsh side

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't the only bad call. It seamed to me that anytime a foul might have been called against T&T, they played on, but the ref would call fouls against the USA if they breathed the wrong way.

The call that I thought was really teribble was in the second half, T&T had a goal kick. The ball cleared the box, and a USA player caught the T&T defense asleep and intercepted the kick. He had a good chance as there was only the golie between him and the goal, but the ref blew the wistle and the did the goal kick over. I never heard any explaination for this.

As for the red card, I agree it was harsh, but if there was ever a situation that deserved a penalty kick, that was it. But I guess my problem here is with the rules, not with the officating.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't the only bad call. It seamed to me that anytime a foul might have been called against T&T, they played on, but the ref would call fouls against the USA if they breathed the wrong way.

The call that I thought was really teribble was in the second half, T&T had a goal kick. The ball cleared the box, and a USA player caught the T&T defense asleep and intercepted the kick. He had a good chance as there was only the golie between him and the goal, but the ref blew the wistle and the did the goal kick over. I never heard any explaination for this.

As for the red card, I agree it was harsh, but if there was ever a situation that deserved a penalty kick, that was it. But I guess my problem here is with the rules, not with the officating.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ref called the play dead because the goal kick did not leave the penalty box, and was therefore not legal, and must be rekicked.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The ref called the play dead because the goal kick did not leave the penalty box, and was therefore not legal, and must be rekicked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I don't know the rules of soccer that well, but I do know that a goal kick is required to leave the box (when I played in grade school, this was sometimes an issue). In the instance that I am refering to, the ball did leave the box, so that was not the reason play was stoped. (And I don't mean it just barely cleared the box, it was at least five yards outside the box.)
Old 08-21-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Spot on. Twellman was ripped and that was a brilliant team goal taken away. I believe the T&T player deserved the red card b/c it was a very clear/excellent scoring opportunity. If you gave a team the choice of a player coming in one-on-one with your goalie or a yellow card they'll take the yellow card everytime ... you've got to be harsh when the rare soccer breakaway is stopped by a criminal defensive play.

Greg H.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:30 AM

Just to clear things up (I'm sure many of you know this already), but the red card given to Trinidad & Tobago was absolutely automatic, and it was a great call that, frankly, a lot of referees would not have had the balls to make.

Donovan was on a clear break for a 1v1 with the goalie and the defender grabbed him from behind to slow his progress. A player doesn't have to fall. In fact, you can get red carded for STEPPING in front of a player without making contact if the ball is not within playing distance (this is impeding the progress, used to be called obstruction) if this player has an "obvious goal scoring opportunity." In this case, since there was no contact and the foul is impeding the progress, play would be restarted with an indirect free kick! Still, the offending player would be sent off for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. The severity of the foul does not matter at all, and the call the referee made in that situation is exactly what FIFA wants. Donovan got held, the hold denied him an obvious chance to score-- I don't even think this is arguable, and in order to support a yellow card, you must argue that Donovan did not have an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Also, the referee correctly placed the free kick outside of the box.

I was not just responding to you, KDawg, but all in this thread. Clearly the offside call against Twellman was dreadful and I missed the goal kick situation. There are tons of bad offside calls and while I would like to see that remedied, I think it is unlikely, as it is near impossible to find humans who get that right 95% of the time at such a high level of play.

-Michael
Old 08-21-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clear things up (I'm sure many of you know this already), but the red card given to Trinidad & Tobago was absolutely automatic, and it was a great call that, frankly, a lot of referees would not have had the balls to make.

Donovan was on a clear break for a 1v1 with the goalie and the defender grabbed him from behind to slow his progress. A player doesn't have to fall. In fact, you can get red carded for STEPPING in front of a player without making contact if the ball is not within playing distance (this is impeding the progress, used to be called obstruction) if this player has an "obvious goal scoring opportunity." In this case, since there was no contact and the foul is impeding the progress, play would be restarted with an indirect free kick! Still, the offending player would be sent off for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity. The severity of the foul does not matter at all, and the call the referee made in that situation is exactly what FIFA wants. Donovan got held, the hold denied him an obvious chance to score-- I don't even think this is arguable, and in order to support a yellow card, you must argue that Donovan did not have an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Also, the referee correctly placed the free kick outside of the box.

I was not just responding to you, KDawg, but all in this thread. Clearly the offside call against Twellman was dreadful and I missed the goal kick situation. There are tons of bad offside calls and while I would like to see that remedied, I think it is unlikely, as it is near impossible to find humans who get that right 95% of the time at such a high level of play.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

I know most soccer fans hate this idea, but I would like to see goal scoring situations reviewed on instant replay in a similar manner to what is done in hockey. I think that the delays would not be that long, and they would be infrequent, and when we're talking about a goal being scored or not, I think it's worth it.