Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Expert, Good, Clumsy, FEMA

[ QUOTE ]
WASHINGTON September 23, 2005 -- Two days after Hurricane Katrina made landfall, as images of devastation along the Gulf Coast and despair in New Orleans flickered across television screens, the head of one of the nation's largest bus associations repeatedly called federal disaster officials to offer help.
<font color="white"> .</font>
Peter Pantuso of the American Bus Association said he spent much of the day on Wednesday, Aug. 31, trying to find someone at the Federal Emergency Management Agency who could tell him how many buses were needed for an evacuation, where they should be sent and who was overseeing the effort.
<font color="white"> . </font>
"We never talked directly to FEMA or got a call back from them," Pantuso said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chicago Tribune story
Old 09-24-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Who\'s Who

This is a lot like my banker calling my insurance agent to see if it would be beneficial to refinance my property -- then as a third party, my insurance agent calls to ask if I'm feel I'm properly insured against banking failure.

What is being missed is that I can make a decision, and that the person who can make a decision should properly be held accountable for the decision made.

Duh.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Double down insurance

[ QUOTE ]
This is a lot like my banker calling my insurance agent to see if it would be beneficial to refinance my property -- then as a third party, my insurance agent calls to ask if I'm feel I'm properly insured against banking failure. Duh.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Wrong analogy. Here's a correct one:

This is like a bystander calling the ambulance center and offering to drive a wounded person to the nearest hospital and the ambulance center refusing his help.

Which is perfectly alright -- but only as long as the ambulance center does its job. If the ambulance car never shows up, something is (doubly) wrong.

It's really very simple. Why you wanna bring bankers and insurance agents into this? Creepy.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Double down insurance

Wait, I thought you were a fan of government, so why are you proudly posting stories pointing out how incompetent it is?

Not that I mind. Did you recently have an enlightenment moment? If so, congrats.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, I thought you were a fan of government, so why are you proudly posting stories pointing out how incompetent it is?

Not that I mind. Did you recently have an enlightenment moment? If so, congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be ridiculous. Liberals should be more upset about this, as we generally would like the government to be competent, whereas conservatives just want less of it. We don't just applaud the government blindly no matter what. What an absurd post on your part.
Old 09-24-2005, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be ridiculous. Liberals should be more upset about this, as we generally would like the government to be competent, whereas conservatives just want less of it. We don't just applaud the government blindly no matter what. What an absurd post on your part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, I thought you were a fan of pvn, so why are you proudly posting stories pointing out how absurd he is?

-ptmusic
Old 09-24-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Liberals should be more upset about this, as we generally would like the government to be competent, whereas conservatives just want less of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is that government is INHERENTLY incompetent. Just replacing the current bozos with somebody else's bozos isn't going to give you any more than a cosmetic improvement.

Also, I dispute your claim that conservatives (at least, those in the "mainstream") want "less" government. What they want is a slightly smaller growth rate than liberals want.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everything I've ever said in any post

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 09-24-2005, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everything I've ever said in any post

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for summarizing. I didn't think it was necessary, but some people still don't get it.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:45 AM

Default Double down moment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Government" can be as incompetent as anything. In fact, chances are that as we get more hierarchical, we get less efficient; as we get more expansive organisationally, we get less practical; as we get more powerful, we get more corrupt.

I know all that and so do you.

I also know that crippling something like FEMA through installing inept leadership, incorporating it into even bigger government, such as Homeland, makes things worse. This is where my post comes in.

But you still have to show me a viable alternative to dealing out with social issues, such as a little flood that takes out a major city, f'rinstance, than having, with all its shortcomings, a concerted and organised effort. The Cult Of The Invisible Hand won't do.

Anyway. Foolish men deal in absolutes. Wise men deal with reality. Reality is messy.