Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Re: J4o

OESD, overcard, and a decent club are more than enough to justify continuing getting 4:1 immediately.

-Eric
Old 12-20-2005, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this spot was an auto-raise preflop with any two cards because of the discount.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do this, and hated every minute of the constant 3-bets and coldcalls and flops full of nothing I had to endure. Then one day I realized... I don't have to do this any more. So I stopped. I'm a happier person now.

-Eric
Old 12-20-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If this hand gets folded to me I'll not have looked at my cards yet but I'm throwing in four more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which means the button doesn't need to bother looking at his cards either before he 3-bets. Good luck with that.

I suspect this was a great play before HFAP popularized it. Live, sure, go ahead and raise. Online? You have to show a little more discretion. Too many people are aware of this bluff now.

-Eric
Old 12-20-2005, 06:52 AM

I'm pretty sure this hand is live [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If this hand gets folded to me I'll not have looked at my cards yet but I'm throwing in four more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which means the button doesn't need to bother looking at his cards either before he 3-bets. Good luck with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch people when you're playing; most of them aren't paying attention to you.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 PM

I'd raise and bet it all the way.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the flop and check the turn for a freecard (if offered). There's about not value in betting the turn for a free sd so I like to take the freecard, and only a weak/tight read can change that. If we bet the turn I think we're commited to fire again on the river to fold A/Q-high hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like it's a bad thing to show up at the river obligated to bluff. Not only is it positive ev to bluff this river after betting all the way, you add in possible folds by your opponent on the flop and turn, and it's like taking candy from a baby. Seriously, don't fear setting yourself up for a river bluff. Sure they fail more than they succeed, but they can be very positive ev if you've been the aggressor.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raise the flop and check the turn for a freecard (if offered). There's about not value in betting the turn for a free sd so I like to take the freecard, and only a weak/tight read can change that. If we bet the turn I think we're commited to fire again on the river to fold A/Q-high hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like it's a bad thing to show up at the river obligated to bluff. Not only is it positive ev to bluff this river after betting all the way, you add in possible folds by your opponent on the flop and turn, and it's like taking candy from a baby. Seriously, don't fear setting yourself up for a river bluff. Sure they fail more than they succeed, but they can be very positive ev if you've been the aggressor.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're correct, the reason we're commited to bet the river is because it's +ev. But after getting called on the flop in a tiny pot I don't thinking betting the turn is.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how the table's previous attention to my play makes a difference in my first decision at a new table. Either it's +EV given the way people handle this raise by default, or it isn't. I think it isn't.

istewart points out that this hand was played live though, so I don't have a problem with it there. I play almost entirely online and find that people are constantly making moves against this CO raise, as they should if you raise any 2.

-Eric
Old 12-20-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand how the table's previous attention to my play makes a difference in my first decision at a new table. Either it's +EV given the way people handle this raise by default, or it isn't. I think it isn't.

istewart points out that this hand was played live though, so I don't have a problem with it there. I play almost entirely online and find that people are constantly making moves against this CO raise, as they should if you raise any 2.

-Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't look at my cards until the action is on me. I watch every other player make their decisions. When the action is folded to me and I have posted I will blind raise. You said the Button will then blind 3-bet. I am saying most of them aren't paying enough attention to know that I didn't look at my cards.