Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 12:58 PM

Default Ebay \'Power Selling\': talk me out of it

I'm not about to line the pockets of any late night scamsters. But, I've been buying on Ebay for a few years, and I'm going to set up a seller account and pursue some extra dollars. Maybe seriously. Any bad or good experiences you're familiar with would be great. Any reasons why it's a -EV move would be best. Talk me out of it.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Ebay \'Power Selling\': talk me out of it

-ev.

Takes so much of your time to turn a wage that isn't any good anyway. Good luck competing with everyone else, do you have an edge that the rest of the world doesn't? (IE can you buy [censored] cheaper than everyone else) If not this is a dumb move.

Shipping is a bitch.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:02 PM

I did it for awhile selling antiquarian books and made decent part-time money. I mostly did it for a hobby but the money was ok too.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not about to line the pockets of any late night scamsters. But, I've been buying on Ebay for a few years, and I'm going to set up a seller account and pursue some extra dollars. Maybe seriously. Any bad or good experiences you're familiar with would be great. Any reasons why it's a -EV move would be best. Talk me out of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to sell on ebay a lot, and I found it more profitable to start my own online store instead of competing in the world's largest flea market. Ebay is a buyer's market. It is tough to make a decent profit on ebay.

If you are interested in ecommerce, starting your own store is a viable option. If you can find a niche, and are knowledgeable in the products you sell, you will probably do OK.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:20 PM

I used to go to garage sales and estate sales and made a decent profit, also super clearance items at department stores.

Never accept checks, always start you bids low(if you are comfortable with that), the lower the better because you will get more people bidding on the item and that is when you make the money, ebay sends all the bidders reminders and notices when they get outbid and the bidders get in a bidding war.

I put a tent on there once that i bought on clearance. Another seller had the same tent on there. He started his bidding at $70, I started mine at $9.99. His sold for $70 and mine sold for over $100. It actually sold for more than retail. Also shipping isn't a problem, just make the buyer pay for it.

The problem is keeping up with enough stuff to sell. Most of the stuff you can easily get in bulk is on there already so you can't make much of a profit if any.

I tried that SMC program once. The Specialty Merchandise Corp or something like that. They let you buy products at a discount that you can sell for their suggested retail.
All of the products were all over ebay and not moving. They sell way to many memberships so it is almost worthless except for a local flea market or something.

Boxing stuff up and shipping can get tedious, alot easier if you have a wife/girlfriend to help you. On alot of more expensive things spring the extra for delivery confirmation, sometimes you could get a shitty buyer that trys to say they didn't get the item even if they did. Also you can make the buyers pay for insurance for higher value items.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:27 PM

I get a lot of random stuff for free, from cases of soda, to 200 tents. If you can get things for free, or very very cheap through connections, you can make a decent clip throwing stuff on ebay. Ive done about 500$/wk worth of selling for awhile, and it takes about 6 hours (taking pics, setting things up, packaging and mailing) of my time. Take a look at the ebay turbo lister free program, it makes things much easier, along with a digital camera, its just getting cheap merchandise, and stream lining your operation to make it worth the time
Old 10-14-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get a lot of random stuff for free, from cases of soda, to 200 tents. If you can get things for free, or very very cheap through connections...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I just love your posts. Combine them with knowing your live on The Hill, need a safe in your house and call yourself "antny" just create such a picture in my head. Please, please, please tell me you wear a huge pinky ring. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I get a lot of random stuff for free, from cases of soda, to 200 tents. If you can get things for free, or very very cheap through connections...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I just love your posts. Combine them with knowing your live on The Hill, need a safe in your house and call yourself "antny" just create such a picture in my head. Please, please, please tell me you wear a huge pinky ring. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually do have one, I got it for confirmation, but I dont wear it much, only when I get really dressed up. I am thinking about buying for everyday wearing though because a lot of my clients have them for some reason, and they are cool imhgo (in my humble guido opinion.) One fo these days Ill get around to taking pictures of the secret room + trap door that is underneath the "storage room" behind my apartment. Its my great uncles place, they used to store shine and "talk" to people down there, its sweet.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM

Best method is to act as the neighborhood consignment store. There are a lot of people with a lot of junk in their attics basements garages etc. who would gladly take about $1 for something worth $25 if it meant that it'd disappear forever to clutter someone else's house. Most people know what ebay is, many would like to sell their stuff on ebay, so now you are offering a service and not a product.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually do have one, I got it for confirmation, but I dont wear it much, only when I get really dressed up. I am thinking about buying for everyday wearing though because a lot of my clients have them for some reason, and they are cool imhgo (in my humble guido opinion.) One fo these days Ill get around to taking pictures of the secret room + trap door that is underneath the "storage room" behind my apartment. Its my great uncles place, they used to store shine and "talk" to people down there, its sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something I've always wondered. Do you Italian guys really do this all the time or is it a cliche?

Not fighting, but the whole "knuckles to the chin" thing.

Cause that's lame, if you do.

Oh, and get the pinky ring, but to get it right, watch Joe Pesci on Saturday Night Live first, to get the idea of how to wear it properly. <font color="white"> Oh, and I'm kidding about the pic. It came up when I googled "Italian". </font>