Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 05:31 AM

Default so what\'s a doable amount of sngs in a year? (long but input aprectd)

my background: been playing for a few years now, but started seriously playing sngs this summer and have logged about 3500 so far. i have 4 monitors and am comfortable 12 tabling (and feel that i play only slightly worse than 8 tabling, making it an easy choice).

i want to set a goal for myself for 2006 (weekly and monthly goals don't work well because of potential breaks, vacations, family things, etc.). i want it to be a challenge that will take a lot of work but is doable and is not a constant burden (i want to be able to take a few days off each week without thinking that i should be playing instead and i don't want to be thinking i should be playing every time i have a bit of free time). i want to enjoy the year but also convert some of the free time into money that i can put away and make good use of in the future.

so far i've done almost only $30s, but plan on starting $50s after i finish about 2000 more, so 2006 and beyond will be only $50s. 12 tabling i figure i can do about 17 an hour. for 3/4 of the year, i'm an engineering college student, which means depending on the week, i can probably put in 10-20 hours max. over the summer, i'll be working full time, but will have every day free, which will give me lots of potential (but burnout is of course an issue).

initially i was thinking 20,000 tourneys (about 22 hours a week assuming i play every week (vacations, finals, etc. will make this a bit higher)). now i'm thinking 16,000, which is about 18 hours a week -- seems like a definite challenge, but doable playing about 4 days a week instead of at least 5.

is 20,000 purely insane? is 16,000 possible? am i gonna want to kill myself by the time i'm done with 5,000? should i do 12,000 instead (maybe too easy)? should i start with a goal of 16,000 then reduce it depending on how it goes?
Old 10-06-2005, 11:59 AM

Default Re: so what\'s a doable amount of sngs in a year? (long but input aprectd)

Hrm... This is a good question... Your crazy ass plays an INSANE amount of games... I'd say, if u put in 20hrs per week... at 17/hr that amounts to 360/week *52 weeks= 18720... HOWEVER... you must account for breaks: midterms/finals, vacations/friday+sat nights, boredom/burnout... So a very doable goal should be 15000... Being young-- you should experience college, and shouldn't kill yourself over playing as much poker as u are trying. It's good that u 12 table, but seriously get out and do "stuff".

Now that i think about it 15,000 is gona be hard... but it is acheivable... do what YOU want to do, not what others tell you.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: so what\'s a doable amount of sngs in a year? (long but input aprec

damn, you really like SNG's.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
damn, you really like SNG's.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe he just likes money, but really 20 hrs a week isnt too bad
Old 10-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: so what\'s a doable amount of sngs in a year? (long but input aprectd)

You must account for going insane 5 months in.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:07 PM

I think 10k is a more reasonable goal. Whatever floats your boat though.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:17 PM

I'm gonna be finishing up grad school from January-May next year. My goal is to play 5000 SNGs in that time... which would be 12000 if I did it all year. ~30/day on average seems reasonable to me. I think SNG fatigue will have pwned me by the end of May though... we'll see.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:27 PM

insanity is a very good point, but i honestly feel like 12,000 or less is not very hard work 12 tabling. 4 hours a day 3 days a week doesn't seem like much effort at all given that school has weekends and the summer is so open.

4.5 hours a day 4 days a week seems pretty reasonable, so i think i'll set that as a starting point (16k a year) and if it becomes too much of a burden i'll reduce it.

would anyone be interested in the progress of this? i'm not zeejustin and i won't be playing $200s, but it may be interesting and may help me stay motivated.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:34 PM

pshaw, 16K? you're crapping out on me, what happened to 20K [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2005, 02:25 PM

16,000 55s is 20k in RAKEBACK alone!!!

another 8.8k for every % roi over 0 you manage