Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 06:11 PM

Default RFC: Live posts to 2+2 from special events?

Here's a Request for Comments (RFC):

I wrote a Web front end that allows quick replies to a specific thread on the 2+2 forums, for use on handhelds like a Blackberry at events like Ed Miller's bachelor party, or the MGM Magoo fest.

This way, the truly addicted 2+2ers on site can post a quick message to help the sorely left-out 2+2ers live vicariously.

This front end is ideal for use by a Blackberry because it gives you a fast way to post without first logging in, going to the right forum, finding the thread, etc. It also does not include all the bells and whistles of the page, so it is much smaller than the page and will load faster, and uses less of your data transfer allowance.

There are a couple of caveats (and reasons why I still think this is a phat idea):
  1. Using a front end means that you will be sending your username and password to a third party (me) before it gets to the 2+2 site.

A) I am not in any way recording that information, but you do have to trust me on that. The thing you have going for you in that regard is you can see who I am in real life pretty easily, and you can always just set up a temp password the day before the event, change it after, etc.
    B) I would be happy to work with Mat or anyone else at 2+2 to get this working from the 2+2 server itself.
  2. Using a stripped down front end also means that the ads that pay for the site are not seen. However, I think this is OK because

A) You cannot read any of the thread from the front end, you can only post to it
    B) The advertisers pay for eyeballs, and the people reading the "live updates" will greatly outnumber the people posting via the front end
  3. Right now, I have only tested it with a Blackberry, but I know WAP and I could easily get this going for mobile devices, too, if people are willing to try their devices on a test thread. Like, say, this one.

Thoughts? Comments?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:18 PM

Default Re: RFC: Live posts to 2+2 from special events?

Sounds cool.

This might get abused, but how about creating an optional "anonymous" 2+2 account (with the password stored on your server) so people don't have to send their passwords. Just an idea... would probably be easy to implement.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds cool.

This might get abused, but how about creating an optional "anonymous" 2+2 account (with the password stored on your server) so people don't have to send their passwords. Just an idea... would probably be easy to implement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the fast and thoughful reply.

A straw man account would be extremely easy to set up for this, but ironically enough could invite even more abuse since the people using it would not be using their account.

I think it better for people to own up to who they are, and they only way to do that is, at some point, to verify their 2+2 credentials.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:26 AM

I'm down. My Blackberry, my new account (just for the Blackberry), and I all thank you for your great solution.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 08:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my new account (just for the Blackberry)

[/ QUOTE ]

great solution, TT
Old 09-29-2005, 10:06 AM

This is a test post from my Blackberry. StevieG's sollution works!

TT
Old 09-29-2005, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a test post from my Blackberry. StevieG's sollution works!

TT

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... this is cool! Can you give us an option to post to a specific thread, or forum?

Now if I could only READ 2+2 from my BB I'd be super happy!
TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-29-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow... this is cool! Can you give us an option to post to a specific thread, or forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

The plan was to hardcode which thread would be used, and then change it as different live events happen.

I also like the idea of a quick dropdown with different event threads. So there could always be one up in B&M, say, called "live from somewhere..." (maybe OOT, too), but then there would also be special events in the dropdown from time to time that would go to the "Official Magoo Fest" thread or "Sweating 2+2er at WPT" or whatever.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:29 AM

Does anyone have a WAP-enabled mobile phone that would want to try testing this?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:08 PM

Mobile devices should work.