Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 11:51 AM

Default Re: Card Rooms in Minneapolis?

The best was when I went there and was playing at a 3/6 table. I'm sitting there minding my own business when I hear a loud, "Mr. Halverson!" I'm 34 and hearing "Mr. Halverson" always throws me. I look up and see two of my son's friends (he was a freshman in high school last year, they were seniors). That was kinda strange. The upside was that I was dragging a big (for 3/6) pot at the time and they were excited about it.

Their SOP is to take $20 to 2/4 and see where it goes. If they go up, they go to Mysic and play BJ for a while. This particluar night, one of them ran his $20 to $120 in about an hour. They made it a point to come by and show me. Of course by this time I had got sucked out on about 4 times and was down, which of course they loved even more.

For about six months after that my son would come home and say that the one guy wanted to play HU so that could take my money. Gotta love it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2004, 11:52 AM

I'm 20. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Actually, the only reason for ME being there at all Saturday was that the prospects for drinking and getting somewhere were not very good that weekend, and I hadn't played in a while...

That being said, you're right. Of course, what's even more disgusting to me is the fact that some of those 18-year-olds actually BRING THEIR GIRLFRIENDS to watch...right, I'm 18 years old and I want my girl to be sitting there watching me lose 100 bucks that I could've spent on her...trust me when I say, if I weren't single, you'd NEVER see me there (even though I like to think I don't fit the typical young fish profile anymore).

Enjoyed playing with you Andy, not to mention turned in a decent session after you left. Hope to see you around again.

-Edge
Old 10-11-2004, 03:20 PM

It isn't just kids that bring their women. I did a lot of things wrong when I was married (just ask her), but dragging my wife to the card room was not among them. I've actually thought about hiring her to come down and let me know what I'm giving away (I never could lie to her), but that's another matter. But yeah, why do you want to bring your woman down there and bore her out of her mind while losing money you could be spending on her? And whoever you are, there is probably someone down there with a lot more money than you who could support her in the manner to which she would like to become accustomed....

Enjoyed this weekend, too. I'm glad I quit early on Saturday, because yesterday's home game was a marathon. For all I know, it's still going on. It started at 2 pm, and when another guy and I left at 4:30 am, they were still going strong six-handed. Great game, and now I have a little money to blow on someone else's girlfriend.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:21 PM

Wow dudes - looks like I'm going to get the job. Well, at least they are going to offer it to me and now all I have to do is accept.

I hate to use the pun, but I'll likely be pretty snowed over for several months - in fact, I'll probably be spending a good portion of the first several months working with a counterpart who is based out of St. Louis. This job is going to kick my ass so I probably won't be out there much - at least not for quite a awhile.

Of course, I'll update this thread on my next trip back out!