Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 10:14 AM

Default Ed\'s book - damn good...

Just recieved Ed's book in the mail yesterday and made it about half way through last night.

I must say, damn good work Ed.

My wife, who stays at home with our 1 year old son right now, has seen how much I've made online playing relatively low limit games and has been bugging me for months to 'teach' her how to play so she can win a few bucks for 'shopping money' during the day when the kid is napping.

I told her last night - if she reads this book and passes a 'practical' I give her afterwards, I'll create an account for her.

Nice job Ed.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Ed\'s book - damn good...

Let the wife play .01/.02 she can lose at most like 2 bucks a day if she REALLY sucks. When she can beat that regularly let her move up =)
Old 07-23-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Ed\'s book - damn good...

in a friendly home game that we played with close friends a while back, my wife, after getting raised on the turn (and not re-raising) checked down her quads on the river. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

One of her main issues is the $$. When we go to Vegas she only likes to play the $1 games at the Sahara. She can't stand losing $5 or $10 at a time. If she comes and sweats me when I'm playing in a red chip game and I lose a pot, she looks like she's about to throw up. It's difficult for her to treat the chips as betting units instead of $1 or $5 or whatever, which is a real hangup for her. I'm not sure I could even get her to sit in a 2/4 game if we found one in Vegas our next time out. And if I did, and she lost a big pot when might have to get some paramedics in there... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, when the friendly home game was in full swing a while back - when my wife raised. Everyone folded. :-)

She's not hopeless, but she does have some major leaks - she just calls too many raises, plays to passively and rarely raises or re-raises with her big hands. She also chases weak draws, doesn't pump her big draws at all and has no concept of how to protect her hand.

She could probably be a break even or slightly better player if I left her to own devices given how horrible I've seen people play at the LL online. Her pre-flop standards are decent and that could keep her out of a great deal of trouble right off the bat. She's pretty sharp and could pummel the game if she spent some time learning it.