Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2004, 10:28 PM

Default flop a set of 8\'s with 3 to a straight showing...

Haven't posted a hand in quite a while - thought I'd post this one.

Too aggressive on the turn?

Is it even worth calling on the river against this many opponents?

PP 1/2 (8 handed)

sucka has 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and is UTG

sucka limps, EP1 limps, MP2 limps, Button limps, SB limps, BB checks

Flop(6 SB): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets, BB calls, sucka raises, EP1 calls, MP2 folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls

Turn(11 BB): J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets, BB calls, sucka raises, EP1 calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls

River(19 BB): 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, sucka checks, EP1 bets, SB calls, BB calls, sucka calls
Old 01-12-2004, 11:13 PM

Default Re: flop a set of 8\'s with 3 to a straight showing...

You may be good here...he probably would have reraised if he hit the straight. Or maybe he has the low end and doesn't want to lose to the nuts.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:27 AM

Why the heck did you raise the turn? At this point, you are obviously behind and drawing to the full house. Just call here. And fold the river - it's really, really obvious that you are beat here.
Old 01-13-2004, 01:22 AM

Why the heck did you raise the turn

I played this hand a while ago so I can't recall my exact thoughts - but I'm sure that flopping a set of 8's about 6 hands prior to this one and losing to a runner-runner straight might have something to do with it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

it's really, really obvious that you are beat here

I know...on the river. Definitely not my best river play here, but unfortunately, it's a situation that occurs all to often at the micro-limits - which is the reason I thought it would be worth posting here.

One thing I've found at the lower limits was that early on I was routinely leaving money on the table because I'd get raised with a strong hand on a scary board like this one and slow down only be shown a weak 2 pair or a strong draw or in some cases a total piece of cheese trying to push me out. Honestly, I figured when I didn't get raised on the turn the straight wasn't out there - but when the club came on the river and there was that many callers - I pretty much knew I was beat. If I would have been 3-bet on the turn I would have called and hope to fill on the river but I certainly wouldn't have put any more money into the pot after that. I don't think I played the hand that poorly until my crying river call.

FWIW, EP1 shows 6c4c and scoops with a flush. No one had the straight. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] SB flopped bottom 2 pair.

Welcome to low-limit's online...
Old 01-13-2004, 04:09 AM

Preflop and flop: Played fine

Turn: Why are you raising here?

River: A bettor and two calls tells me at least one person has the low end of the straight, if not the flush. Heads-up, I call the river bet. With three putting money in the pot before it's up to me, I gotta muck.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And fold the river - it's really, really obvious that you are beat here.

[/ QUOTE ]

NO, NO, NO!!!...If I'm Hero, there is no way I'm folding the river when I close the action for one bet. It was checked to the last player who bet, and everyone else only called. If anything, it is "really, really obvious" that my hand might be good. Hero is getting 19:1, meaning he only has to win this hand 6% of the time to make money. With this river action, those are good enough odds for me.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero is getting 19:1, meaning he only has to win this hand 6% of the time to make money

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the turn action, the river card bringing in the flush, and the fact that there has been an overcall, I estimate the chances of winning this pot to be less than 2%. It looks like an easy fold to me.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:35 AM

Sucka,

Good to see you posting again.

On the turn, just calling and going for the overcalls is best. However, note that since you got 4:1 on your raise it was actually a value raise even if you were 100% sure that someone had a straight because you were only 3.6:1 against filling up. But, you expect to be reraised by a king high straight and maybe a queen high straight and depending on their position it might thin the field as it will become obvious to some that they are drawing dead. So I guess my point was, in this case it's best just to call but just calling when you suspect a straight should by no means be automatic.

Lost Wages
Old 01-13-2004, 09:38 AM

I am incredulous that you would believe that Hero's hand is only good here less than than one out of fifty times. Anyone who agrees that folding is the right play on the river needs to read (or reread) Majorkong's post from last week.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:43 AM

someone once said: If you never fold a set at the river in a large pot you arenīt making much of a mistake, or something like that ~~