Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: I am the biggest fish on Party.

(Warning: Grunch by a green fish)

Pre-flop you have two overcards, but not a pair. And they're not suited. So other than having overcards, you are playing a drawing hand.

Only two other players are in the pot when it gets to you. That's not good odds for playing a drawing hand. But they're overvards, and one's an ace, so you call. Then BB raises. He's projecting strength. I think your overcards are strong enough to call the raise, but I'm a fish.

The Flop helps you, so you bet. Then BB raises. He's not afraid of that king or that queen. At this point I put him on hand with either KX or QX, or maybe high suited connectors like JT. Then Button 3-bets. Now, he could have either KK, QQ, or KQ. But if he did, then he would have raised pre-flop. But if he had JTo then it would have been right for him to just call pre-flop and 3-bet a floped straight. At this point I start thinking hard about folding. When BB caps after you called the raise, I think it's time to swallow your pride and fold. But I'm a fish.

The turn helps you. You now have a flush draw. Not a nut flush draw, but close. You check and BB bets. That shows he's not afraid of someone holding KK, QQ or two hearts. Then Button calls. I'm putting Button on a made straight and BB on a made flush. At this point all you have is two ladies and a flush draw. I would fold and switch to decafinated Pepsi. But like I said, I'm a fish.

The River brings you your flush. I would never have seen this hand through to the River, but now that you're here you're actually in good shape. There are only three hands that can beat you - Ah for the nut flush and either Th 8h or 8h 5h for the straight flush. I would bet and I would also re-raise. But I would also prepair myself to see that ace of hearts.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:02 AM

"Pre-flop you have two overcards, but not a pair. And they're not suited. So other than having overcards, you are playing a drawing hand."

With two limpers in AQo is generally going to be the best hand preflop- usually the only had that is currently better would be a samll pair wich is only a samll favorite. Meanwhile you are a big favorite over all other Aces (assuming that AK raises), all other Queens and all other hands you are moderate- small favorites over.
If your hand is likely to be best- then all the other hands are trying to outdraw you.
This is an easy value raise from the sb in this generic situation.

"Then Button calls. I'm putting Button on a made straight and BB on a made flush"

you are far to fidgid here, people play badly. Not only that but BB should be betting plenty of hands here that aren't a flush. Two pair, a set, a straight. Folding this turn in an enourmous pot for one bet is a mistake. A very large mistake.

"I would bet and I would also re-raise"

Yikes. The four flush is so obvious that there is no way i am three betting a raise here. I might consider check riaising, but i think its best to bet out as you have 2 potential callers and it is very easy for them to check through when the 4 card flush hits.

"He's not afraid of that king or that queen. At this point I put him on hand with either KX or QX, or maybe high suited connectors like JT. Then Button 3-bets. Now, he could have either KK, QQ, or KQ. But if he did, then he would have raised pre-flop. But if he had JTo then it would have been right for him to just call pre-flop and 3-bet a floped straight. At this point I start thinking hard about folding. When BB caps after you called the raise, I think it's time to swallow your pride and fold"

Folding with two back to you on the flop is likely the correct play. But once you call you should not fold for one more, at this point you are getting 20-1 almost enough just for a BD flush draw. Plus you have a BD straigh draw and your A and Q could be outs still.

"But like I said, I'm a fish."

No worries, stick around here long enough and you won't be.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:56 AM

Stop. Stop. Stop betting the flop trying to induce raises from worse hands (he almost never has one here).
Old 12-23-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"two-way checking"

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm two-way [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]ing this.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:10 AM

one vote for pf raise,