Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-14-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Cable problem - should I switch from Cable to DSL internet?

I have cable internet via a Netgear CG814WG Wireless Cable Modem Gateway. In the last several weeks I kept having dropped connection several times a day. It's expensive when you multi-table; I estimate around a grand's worth in the past 6 weeks. It might drop up to 15-20 times/day. Two tech support visits didn't do anything.

I poked about some tech forums and there's a bunch of posts where the exact same thing happened with that model router. Seems like there's a problem in the past couple months where the combination of this router and the firmware developed by the ISP for it (apparently Netgear solely manufactures the hardware and doesn't supply firmware upgrades for this model) leads to the connection often being temporarily dropped with that particular router. Basically the two companies blame each other if you try phoning with your problem...great communication setup they have...).

I ordered DSL but still have my cable subscription. Should I just say screw cable and go DSL if it looks like it's working? I don't know the difference really.

EDIT: 2nd solution is to purchase my own combination of modem/wireless router. Might that be a problem if I need support issues - they could easily just say - "oh, it's your router, not ours, nothing we can do...you know, typical slithering...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:40 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Cable problem - should I switch from Cable to DSL internet?

if it's WIRELESS that's dropping, you can't assume the problem is the connection itself
Old 11-14-2005, 04:41 PM

It's not the wireless portion...same problem when I hard wired my notebook to teh router.

It's the firmware/router combo causing the router to go frizzy regularly (at least according to the tech geek posts on these other forums)
Old 11-14-2005, 04:50 PM

Anyway, what about going DSL? Is there any inherent drawback with DSL as compared to cable internet, for heavy poker use?

I'm not into gaming or DL'ing movies. Just lots of poker, where I really don't want to see KK again and have the connection drop at the same time...
Old 11-14-2005, 05:32 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

if dsl is working as it should, it will do just fine for poker

look at the dslreports forum for your isp and see if it's the router or the connection itself.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:59 PM

If the router is the problem, I'd think it would still cause problems with DSL too. Why not buy a new router? Do you still have problems when you connect your computer directly to the modem?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:50 PM

I would get DSL just on the basis its cheaper for just about the same result in broadband connection.

My 2nd tip. Sell the Netgear, and get a Linksys WRT54G. You will never have another router problem on any subject, period.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:04 PM

http://www.google.com/search?q=wrt54g+problem