Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: $215: Interesting use of the min. bet

[ QUOTE ]
I think the turn bet is to turn players into guessers.

Looking at the replies so far, it might not be too bad [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

good point lori, we should rename this play/situation the "Irieguy Dilemma". [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-14-2005, 03:12 PM

I couldn't come up with a reasonable hand for him here. I think I like the way you played it. If you're not going to raise the turn, the river call is a no brainer. I think raising the turn is ok folding to a reraise, but, I think I like this line better. I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn over TT or TJ here.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I wanna ask.. Did you call the turn hoping for a cheap showdown or to induce a bluff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I called the turn to induce a bluff. That's a big part of my game, and something that I worked on a lot with Unarmed. It's also something that few players do, and something that I don't think I've ever seen a post about.

That's why this hand was interesting to me. I don't remember ever calling on the turn to induce a bluff, because it's normally a sign of strength. But calling a min bet shows extreme weakness and I was ready to call any amount on the river unless an ace hit.

Irieguy
Old 09-14-2005, 03:18 PM

I actually like the turn min raise, because if nothing else it will make you second guess what is going on, but the huge river bet looks like he is just paying you off.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I called the turn to induce a bluff. That's a big part of my game, and something that I worked on a lot with Unarmed. It's also something that few players do, and something that I don't think I've ever seen a post about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well.. Maybe not at the STT forum at least. Calling to induce bluffs is something I've begun to understand after playing some 0,5/1 6max No-Limit and reading the PL/NL forums. Check/calling just seems to be almost a tabu, thanks to all those Books I guess. And on this forum perhaps thanks to the prevailing, and of course very correct, push/fold strategy.

[ QUOTE ]
That's why this hand was interesting to me. I don't remember ever calling on the turn to induce a bluff, because it's normally a sign of strength. But calling a min bet shows extreme weakness and I was ready to call any amount on the river unless an ace hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH, I think.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:36 PM

I agree this hand is really fantastically interesting. If I couldn't see the board, I'd say that the betting felt like an ambiguous overpair, but with a queen high flop, that leaves only KK and AA. Another possibility is a decent ace like AJ...

Unfortunately, I think you have to call the river because you're getting better than 2:1, but I just really wouldn't know where I'm at. Top pair is either far ahead or far behind.

I'd be curious to see the result. That would explain the cause for the min bet...either looking for you to raise or because he is weak...I personally am 50/50 on it, so that's why I'm calling it down.

For the future, I think the correct move here is to raise the flop, and fold if he plays back.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:46 PM

I don't understand any part of the play of this Hand [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
1.) You have told me "ad nauseum" to stay away from hands like Q-Joff in the early going.
2.) I don't understand your late-position call on the flop; "pump it -or- dump it"
3.) Your call of the min-bet on the turn must be "I've played this really bad so far; why change now"
4.) I understand the call on the Riv; if he had a monster he would push
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I put him on A-Js
Old 09-14-2005, 03:53 PM

I'm going off the board and guessing you won the hand.
Perhaps Villain playing AQ or AK, strangely I may add?
Old 09-14-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand any part of the play of this Hand [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
1.) You have told me "ad nauseum" to stay away from hands like Q-Joff in the early going.
2.) I don't understand your late-position call on the flop; "pump it -or- dump it"
3.) Your call of the min-bet on the turn must be "I've played this really bad so far; why change now"
4.) I understand the call on the Riv; if he had a monster he would push
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I put him on A-Js

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of SFB's "funny" posts are not funny. This serious post, however, is quite amusing. Ah, the delicious irony.

A-J???? This is the best you could do. What numbnuts at a $215 would bet $15 into a $400 pot with TPTK and a flush draw on board?

-Z
Old 09-14-2005, 03:59 PM

The more I think about this hand, the more I think he has 55-TT with either 55, 88, or TT being the most likely.