Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Brief WSOP trip update.

I played Fri in my day 1, but arrived a few days early. Unfortunately a mix up with pokerstars and their W$ prevented me playing the 3k nlhe event on the 1st July, so I just kinda hung out, checked out the place and played a bit of poker.

Pre-wsop poker: Uneventful. Played a coupla satellites for 1k entry chips plus the $225 late night tourney. No joy. Only worthwhile hand...5 left in a sat. I raise in EP w A9s. Folded to the good TA BB who stops, takes off his shades and starts eyeballing me. I'm in seat 1 and meanwhile I just notice the dealer's scooped and mucked my cards along with seat 2's. I'm about to say something when I realise it won't do any good, plus noone else at all has noticed. So I stick my right hand down on the table, kinda edge on, as if they're covering my cards. The BB in seat 7 is still eyeballing me and muttering. He eventually declares all-in and everyone laughs when they see my cards are gone. Shame he didn't fold or my story woulda been better.

McEvoy gets pwned: Checked out the Rio one day. We (wife was here for a couple days) wandered over to the tourney area and I notice we'er standing behind Tom McEvoy who's arguing with a young woman. Don't know what about. He tells her she needs to drop dead, then gets on his cell phone then tells whoever's on the other end something about "this snotty bitch" and starts walking away, half ushered bu a friend. The woman looks aghast and then flips and chases him, saying: "You wanna take this outside? I'll kick your old ass!"

From overhearing bystanders accounts, sound like TM was a bit out of line and they were on her side.

WSOP Day 1: I get my seat - 4 Stars players and a coupla old boys. Seat to my left is initially empty and I chat w teh young PS kid on my right. Then I turn and the seat immediately to my left is being filled.

Now. Pause. And imagine who you might least like to have sitting to your left for a day of serious poker....

...I wouldn't have immediately picked my worst opponent, but exclaimed an audibly "F$#k" when he sat down....So, I spend 10 hours playing with Erik123 to my left. Nice guy but he got a stack early and started pressing the table. fortunately we only tangled once really the whole time. He played lots of pots but folded when I raised through him usually (prolly saw I was playing tight and ok). The table only broke late in the day and I had about 14k chips. erik had about 30k after stealing like crazy off everyone once got a stack. I finish the day with 17k chips. No exciting hands to report; beside poker hands are boring.

,,,oh, got introduced and had dinner and also breakfast with Doyle Brunson. Met Jack Binion and Mike Caro who were tagging along as well for the dinner. Doyle's a super nice guy. felt sorry cos everyoen wanted his time.

Ok, gotta go. mebber update later.

dogs
Old 07-09-2005, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Brief WSOP trip update.

[ QUOTE ]
Doyle's a super nice guy. felt sorry cos everyoen wanted his time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep playing like you are and he'll be old news in a few days time.

Go, dogsballs!
Old 07-09-2005, 06:35 PM

Nice going dogs. Way to hang in there. Just making it to day 2 is an accomplishment in itself.

Doyle strikes me as super nice as well. I haven't bothered him for a pic or anything....but he always seems to stop for anyone who wants an autograph or pic.
He was signing copies of his book at the trade-show and was very friendly with everyone in the long line.

How on earth did you get introduced to him? I'm jealous (both of your day 1 survival and especially of your dinner with Doyle).
Old 07-09-2005, 08:40 PM

gl and thx for the update. nice read.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice going dogs. Way to hang in there. Just making it to day 2 is an accomplishment in itself.

Doyle strikes me as super nice as well. I haven't bothered him for a pic or anything....but he always seems to stop for anyone who wants an autograph or pic.
He was signing copies of his book at the trade-show and was very friendly with everyone in the long line.

How on earth did you get introduced to him? I'm jealous (both of your day 1 survival and especially of your dinner with Doyle).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I didn't make anything of that 1% for ya Bob.. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Players were dropping like flies on day two - and I ended up as one of those flies.

Started day two with one of the lower stacks and just couldn't get any traction all day, despite an ok table. Bobbled around the teens, only really staying afloat with some steals. Never got higher than 25k chips and my two hands where I was looking to double up never got that final big bet called. Busted out late in the day at just about 900th...my A7s in the CO vs 88 in the BB.. 560 get paid, so folk were starting to sniff and dream about the money line - I was even hoping myself, despite the stack problem. The other Doyles room player I met was at the next table for most of the day; he started with mebbe only 10k, but got doubled up 3 times and I saw him last with about 70-80k. Hopefully he makes the loot; he seems like a smart guy so he should be ok.

Dinner w/ Doyle was cos I won the spot on Doyles Room. The dinner was in the private room of some old-school type steak and lobster place, with about 40 total guests. We had drinks and chit chat and then were served calamari, then these lobsters to be shared - the frickin' things musta been 15 lb'ers. Just monsters. And guess what? That was before they came round and asked us what we wanted for starters!! After the 'nibbles', my main course filet mignon was seriously about 1.5 lbs. It's the first time in my living memory I was unable to finish a good steak.

Breakfast on the 7th was just a handful of folk at the Bellagio cafe. Doyle, his assistant (I think), Trish (the doyles room organiser person) and 3 players, one who'd brought his dad as well. Both doyles and his assistants phones were going off the whole time. I'd stayed out with the wife playing 1/2 nl and drinking at the bellagio until after 5am, so I just sat and scooped coffee at first. The other DR player was laughing when he saw me pour my 5th cup of coffee in about 10 minutes without touching any food. Fortunately I didn't start my WSOP play until the day after.

Day two was much more enjoyable poker to play than day one was, with the bigger blinds and constant antes forcing everyone to play a bit more. Day one felt like a torturous slog.

In day one, I noticed a couple of things.

1) There arent any at all of the real whackos that make up 20% of online MTT's - not too surprising with the 10k buyin. But there's still plenty of crummy play.

eg: Later in the day on my day one table. EP1 limps, EP2 limps, one other limp, I complete the SB with A9o. Erik checks. Flop is A72 rainbow. EP1 bets, EP2 calls, limper folds, I muck mine cos the 9 kicker's obviously useless, and Erik dumps. By the river it's A7299 and the two EP players are all-in. I woulda won a monster! But...I wouldn't even have needed to hit a 9!! They turn over A5o and A4s..!??!? Maybe it was a bit late in the day and the tiredness and a big dinner had got them foggy or something, but I almost fell off my seat. Guy with A4 had actually bet all-in on the river after being checked to.

2) A number of the online qualifiers played way too tight to ever have a hope of getting near the money in the big field. I saw a few Stars players and a Party poker kid who were just being ground down to nothing, waiting for primo hands and folding in any kind of scary spot. They hardly got action at all either, when they did seriously wake up.

eg: Early on day one, young Stars guy on my right standard raises in LP w JJ. I standard reraise right behind in the CO w/ AKs. He flashes me his hand and mucks. It's very early on day one, tons of chips to play with and easy to - at least - see a flop against a player who probably thinks he was stealing. I didn't show, but said: "I was ok against jacks there".