Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: 400 games on party very tough?

If he calls a flop raise I'd probably be done with the hand barring improvement. No one is calling a flop raise out of position with hopes of running a delayed bluff.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:39 PM

calm down. play a little and learn how small a difference it really is.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:13 PM

1. Don't post results.
2. Don't call a preflop raise with T9os.
3. If you do call, hit your T, and think you're ahead, reraise him to $80 on the flop. Check/fold the turn. If UTG checks the turn, and checks the river when a club(a scare card) hits, bet 3/4 of the pot.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:31 PM

Also...without commenting on other streets, your play on the river is bizarre. I'm a bit surprised he ended up having JT, and calling. However, you seem to bet only because he checked. I don't know if you think you're bluffing, or value betting, but it ends up being neither. He's probably not going to fold a better hand (if I were him and had AT, I would definately call), and he isn't going to call with a weaker hand.

For this reason, making a sizable bet on the river in NL with second pair seems to always be a large mistake.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:50 PM

I think the preflop call is good for exactly the reasons given. T9 is not a bad hand at all with position in a heads up pot. I probably would have been more aggressive with it—i.e., raise flop—but I don't think the call on the flop is terrible.

The turn call.. is terrible, as is the river bet. But, I think assuming that calling a raise preflop with position is facially obviously terrible is weak-tight nonsense.