Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2003, 04:27 PM

Default gun story not usually reported in news, but was maybe cause of twist

guy was watching vigilante film 'death wish' when it happened. probably why it was reported at all. do the math on how many instances go unreported because a) no hook like watdching 'death wish' at time of break in and b) victims not 73
----------------------------------------------
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...20Headline=Man,+73,+kills+robber+holding+shears+to+w<br%20/>ife's+neck

Man, 73, kills robber holding shears to wife's neck
By BILL BRYAN
Post-Dispatch
11/20/2003

Police officers privately
praised the outcome
of North County shooting
A man in north St. Louis County was home watching "Death Wish," a movie about a vigilante who hunts down criminals, when he saw his wife held hostage by a robber holding shears at her neck.

Allowed to get his wallet, the homeowner retrieved his pistol instead and shot the intruder to death, county police said Wednesday after sorting out details of the previous evening's incident.

It happened about 8 p.m. Tuesday in the 11500 block of Lares Drive, a usually quiet neighborhood just east of New Halls Ferry Road and north of Interstate 270.

The residents asked police not to reveal their names. The man and family members declined interview requests.

Police gave this account:

An intruder, 26, broke into the home through a basement window and tore down a curtain to tie over his face as a mask. The woman encountered him in the basement and he forced her up the stairs to confront her husband.
Police said the husband, 73, was watching the movie on TV when the stranger approached, demanding money and holding 4-inch shears to the throat of the woman, also 73.

The homeowner told the intruder he had to get his wallet from the bedroom, but he got a handgun instead. When he emerged, she pulled away and he opened fire.

The robber grabbed the wife again and pulled her through the front door with him, but then let her go and ran. He collapsed across the street, where he was pronounced dead.

The woman was treated for minor injuries at a hospital and released.

The dead robber was identified through fingerprints, but his name was withheld pending notification of relatives.

Privately, police officers praised the outcome, saying that burglars should take a lesson from it.

County detectives said they believed the dead burglar might be responsible for other home invasions and burglaries.

Earl Garvin, a neighbor, said he had known the homeowner for 30 years. "He's such a nice man. He's a very fine guy."

Reporter Bill Bryan:
E-mail: bbryan@post-dispatch.com
Phone: 314-340-8950

Old 11-20-2003, 04:34 PM

Default Re: gun story not usually reported in news, but was maybe cause of twist

boy, sure glad it didnt happen to john cole or andy as we would have lost two posters to the murder. the robber was lucky it wasnt in my house or zeno or hdpm or brad or a bunch of others as he wouldnt have gotten to live that extra few seconds.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:38 PM

Default Re: gun story not usually reported in news, but was maybe cause of twist

i laugh at all the stories on iraq and brutality and stuff as in my army unit we were specifically told to 'double tap' (potential) prisoners. (enemy wounded soldiers)

no [censored]. by ncos though, not officers, fwiw.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:37 PM

Well said, Ray.

-Zeno
Old 11-21-2003, 03:03 AM

What murder? What makes you think this guy who hid his face intended to murder anyone?

Kind of lucky that she managed to break away from the guy just when the husband appeared with his gun. Hopefully the burglar who breaks into my house will be just as stupid and inept.

Besides, I don't have a shears in my house. At least I don't think so. What are shears anyway? Is it a fancy scissors?

And another besides, I can't speak for John, but I intend to keep posting from the grave. You can't get rid of my that easy.

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2003, 07:43 AM

Andy,

I just hope I can keep posted grom the grave.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:44 AM

yep andy, who knows if he would have murderd her or him. we will never know will we.

and i sincerely hope that any burglar that breaks into your home is stupid and inept as well. which by definition must be.

shears are big scissors. and if you dont have any in the house it isnt likely you will ever be murdered by shears.

i wish you would speak for john as sometimes he needs some help.