Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: Folding to a river bet too often
> 1.0 3 10.00%
between 0.5 and 1.0 4 13.33%
between 0.25 and 0.5 6 20.00%
between 0.1 and 0.25 15 50.00%
< 0.1 BB/100 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2005, 08:06 AM

Default How do you play JJ here and why? Interesting bubble situation.

$100+10 buy-in normal 50/30/20 payout structure

5 left blinds 400/800 blinds double every 6 mins, at this point there are about 4 mins left to next round.

player 1 4800
Hero 5400
Player 2 600
small blind 700 before posting
big blind 3500 before posting

player 1 raises to 1600
Hero has JJ???
Old 12-30-2005, 08:20 AM

Default So, I guess there\'s 2 options...

Moving all-in IMO can't be the wrong play. At this point, with your small stack vs. the blinds pushing with JJ is pretty good. Also, considering there's a real good chance you might win it there without a call (UTG only doubled the blinds).

Other option would be to call, but that invites the other players to call as well (the BB would have 5 1/2 to 1 odds to call), and see if a danger card hits on the flop (an A really). If so, you could see UTG's play post flop and make your move there.

My choice on the 2 is to push, no need to dick around with the blinds where they are IMO.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:46 AM

Default Re: So, I guess there\'s 2 options...

I'd move all in simply because the raiser is VERY VERY likely to fold, given the short stacks. And hey, if he calls, you've probably got the good side of a coinflip, and a chance to money even if you lose.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd move all in simply because the raiser is VERY VERY likely to fold, given the short stacks. And hey, if he calls, you've probably got the good side of a coinflip, and a chance to money even if you lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

You move all-in here because you have the fourth best hand in poker and the raisers range is likely way behind your hand.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:31 AM

Default Re: How do you play JJ here and why? Interesting bubble situation.

I'm for folding. We don't know anything about the tendencies of the other players, but we do know you have 2 opponents who can hurt you (P-1 and the BB). If both come in, best case is where both have smaller pairs. Even though you are 4-1 against each individually, you're only about 2-1 against both, because you now have to dodge 4 cards 5 times if you don't improve. Worst case, one has a smaller pair and the other has AK or AQ and you have to dodge 8 cards. If my math is right, that makes JJ less than even money. Even a 1 in 3 chance that you will end up with too few chips to fight on is too risky for my taste. And of course if P-1 has one of the "big three," you're a big dog already.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:33 AM

Anything but going all-in is just plain wrong.

You have him covered, your fold equity is tremendous, and you have a great hand.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have JJ... what are you afraid of here? The very very few times you are beat are small enough to warrant the tremendous gains you make from pushing EVERY OTHER TIME.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:49 AM

Shoooooooveee ittttt
Old 12-30-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You move all-in here because you have the fourth best hand in poker and the raisers range is likely way behind your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the fact that there are two short stacks here is far more significant than the fact that we have JJ. If I was in the right mood here and I had seen the villain make this move before, I might resteal with a pretty wide range of hands. JJ is an added bonus to the situation that just makes it a no-brainer.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have JJ... what are you afraid of here? The very very few times you are beat are small enough to warrant the tremendous gains you make from pushing EVERY OTHER TIME.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what the rush is. JJ is a good hand, but it is very vulnerable to overcards. There are 3 players yet to act. My question back to you is: Are you hurt at all if Player 1 steals the blinds?

Personally, I don't think hero has a dog in that fight and don't see a need to risk going from the big stack to a short stack.