Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-27-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Flopping a small set from the BB , how do you play them?

This happens to me every once in awhile. I'm in the BB with a hand like 22-77 and a few callers (say 3 or 4) limp in and I check. Flop brings something like J/9/x where x = my set cards and double suited.

What's the best play? Lately I've been betting almost the pot, but have been taking it down right there more often than not. Checking seems far to risky with straight or flush draws out there (or both). In an uncoordinated board or a board with an Ace on it checking probably is safer because everyone loves limping with ace rag.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Flopping a small set from the BB , how do you play them?

I like betting out too, at it offers you the best chance to build a pot and bust someone or double up, but why the whole pot? You want callers. Lead for half or 2/3. People will come along with second pair or something a lot more frequently. If they all fold for half pot, you weren't going to get much out of them anyway. If an obvious draw comes in on the turn, just make sure to proceed with caution. A smaller bet on the flop is a lot more inviting for someone to raise you too - you don't mind getting all in on a flop like that obviously.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:50 PM

I should have clarified, the early blind levels, namely levels 1 & 2 on party. I wouldn't put in a pot size bet if the blinds were at 50 or 100 and the pot was say 400 chips already.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In an uncoordinated board or a board with an Ace on it checking probably is safer because everyone loves limping with ace rag.

[/ QUOTE ]

I almost always lead out with a flopped set, I just vary my bet size according to the board. On a coordinated board, I lead out with a bet of about 3/4 pot.

On an uncoordinated board I often lead out with a bet of about 1/3 the pot, and hope somebody reads this as a weak steal attempt.

The only exception to this is an uncoordinated board with an A. I lead at this with a 3/4 pot bet also. Not to protect my hand but because those players that love to play Ace rag are not usually letting go so easily. Lead into them, and when they call check the turn if it's a brick. Most of the time they cannot help but push after you check the turn.