Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Playing from the blinds: J9o

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Check call, lead turn in most cases.

Like curtains said, you don't want a big pot and the above line gives you a fair bit of information relatively cheaply.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why c/c, lead turn instead of c/r flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Grunch. My assumption is that this keeps the pot smaller for taking impetus on a safe turn card (like the one that happened), if we decide to do so. If the turn is a club or an over, we can easily release. The way I played it, with the c/r, if villain calls, and the turn is a club or an ace (or any over), we're up sh*t creek. This is just my interpretation, I don't know if it's the correct/best line.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:36 PM

Check/raising here is unl33t and very expensive. Check/call and lead the turn for 2/3 the pot. People who push over turn bets like that tend to either have very large balls of brass or a very strong hand.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:43 PM

Yah, check/calling then leading a safe turn is a cash NL play where you have a marginal holding and think your opponent might be playing a strong draw or something like that and you don't want to get blown off of your hand.

It is only a deepstacked play though although I'm sure a variation can be used properly with shallower stacks in a tournament situation using an open push on the turn.

That being said, c/r is too expensive and c/c lead the turn lets you get off cheap cus people either have the goods or big balls to push over a turn 2/3 pot bet.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would flat call on the flop, BB bet scares me mroe than MP1 bet. I don't want a big pot. Im weak tight though, everyone knows this.

[/ QUOTE ]

So curtains, your line is to c/c the whole way down? Lately this is what I've been doing to get to the end cheaply, but it feels so wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said that was my line no matter what happens. When someone presents one scenario and asks what I do, it doesnt mean Im doing the same thing in every possible scenario.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:17 PM

I look at my stack size at the beginning of this hand and figure I'm in decent, but not great shape.

Okay, I flopped TPWK, on a drawish board. I kinda like my hand, but I want to put a 'stop loss' on my stack and not lose too much FE defending a marginal holding. I see that I'm against just an MP caller and the BB.

I'm either check-calling, or leading at the flop. (Obviously I'll check-fold to a significant bet.) On a 22 anyway, I think that the best approach is to lead at the flop and go from there.

But my main point is, wtf do I want to commit a signifcant portion of my stack to this hand? (That is, I'm NOT check-raising.) However I decide to play it, I'm not losing a bunch of chips here unless my hand improves. If someone outplays me and takes this pot, well, it's not the end of the world. It's an unraised pot and BB could literally have any two cards. Pissing away a boatload of chips trying to outmanuever someone in an 800 chip game IS the end of the world.

Just my 'weak-tight early in SNGs' take...
Old 12-21-2005, 03:37 PM

c/r flop, lead turn is probably the best way to spew chips

if you call this preflop, lead flop yourself. right now youre putting in 325 post-flop to find out if your J is good. w/o reads, youre not betting for value.

leading flop lets you find out post-flop if youre good for 60-80 chips
Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 PM

Let's assume I make a 3/4 pot bet on the flop. BB calls, and the turn card is the same. Now what?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 PM

turn card is the same? Whats the turn card?
Old 12-21-2005, 09:46 PM

Boy will I get flamed for this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ....

Check/fold the flop. Small pot. Weak hand. Draw-laden board. Early. Playing hands like this is a recipe for trouble.

Let's say you lead at the flop (as most posters suggest) and are flat called. Aside from jacks and non-club 3-6s, what are you hoping will hit the turn and river?

I'm not bothered one bit to fold my hand here, even if it's the best on the flop.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

turn card is the same? Whats the turn card?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t90) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets t30</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t125</font>, BB calls t95.

Turn: (t340) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t200

[/ QUOTE ]