Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-20-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Play from the blinds: T6s

C'mon Scuba, how'd the hand play out? Although we're not results oriented, I'm curious.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:42 PM

You can bet if you want and you have the right idea, namely that your hand has slightly, but not much more, value to showdown on this board than 32o* and if you bet one you should probably bet the other.

I don't bet because this is a situation where I think I'll often have to do things like check turn/call river blanks if called and there are reverse implied odds written all over this hand. I'd give it a shot with more chips, though, and I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with that; it's just not my play style.

However, Scuba is betting because he has top pair and a gutshot. That's wrong, IMO.

*not because it's equal to 32o, but because vs. hands that want to see a showdown enough to continue, well, basically, see turn action.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:49 PM

Although I might chicken out, I think this is a pretty good call. What hand that is better than top pair plays this way (check/call open push)? Is anyone slowplaying anything huge knowing that a heart will ruin their action or their hand? Would the flopped nut flush really try to blow hero off his hand when he hasn't shown any real strength, or would he try to extract value? Also, the turn can't change anything, and his open push looks a lot like a flush draw that whiffed the turn. I wouldn't be surprised to see a naked A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] often here. People on this board sometimes underestimate the alternate reality that occurs in SB/BB confrontations at the lower levels.... Some people take the "be aggressive HU" maxim and use it as an excuse for outrageous bluffs. I don't know.... I think Scuba's hand is good over 1/2 to 2/3rds the time here. That said, when you get stacked with top pair, nonsense kicker it's embarrassing. Against some SBs, however, I think I would make his call often given the action. If he does have the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] alone, you are far ahead -- 3 to 1 favorite -- nice odds to nearly double up early.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 PM

I expect we will hear that Scuba had a great read on the guy and called with a winner. How about it Scuba?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
C'mon Scuba, how'd the hand play out? Although we're not results oriented, I'm curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain had 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
No [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s