Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-19-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: The Official OOT Cookbook.

[ QUOTE ]

1lb Italian Sausage (optional)

[/ QUOTE ]
I strongly disagree with the optional part.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:06 AM

Nah, gimme strawberry jam with peanut buttah.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 AM

jba's sweet potatoes with onions

I like sweet potatoes but I'm not a big fan of the super sweet way they are typically prepared.

preheat oven to 400F

4-5 good sized sweet potatoes peeled/washed/cubed (1 in. cubes)
1 pkg lipton onion soup mix
2 tbsp vegetable oil

mix potatoes, oil, and dry soup mix (don't actually mix up the soup) in a covered bowl. shake the [censored] out of it.

pour potatoes onto nonstick baking sheet. cook for 25-30 mins or until potatoes are browned.

Enjoy!
Old 12-20-2005, 12:49 AM

Ok, here's the Siren's 'Fab Pork Tenderloin Stew'.(easy)
Got a crockpot? You're not gonna believe how tender!

1-1/2 lb pork tenderloin (cut into 1" cubes)
2 big onions (chopped)
a bunch of garlic (4-5 cloves)
1 28oz can of stewed tomatos
Big can of sweet potatoes (or candied yams) - this is key!
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup of white wine
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cilantro
1 tsp salt

In frypan sautee onions and garlic then remove.
Dust pork cubes in a little flour then brown in pan.
Then toss EVERYTHING all together into crockpot and walk away for at least 4 hours (I usually crock-it for 8!)

An excellent winter stew! Enjoy [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 01:28 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

wow, that opening paragraph is just pathetic. i can't believe you actually typed that out.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:04 AM

UncleSalty's Soon to be Famous Red Hot Chili
1/2 C each: Black Beans, Pinto Beans, Kidney or Small Red Beans (Or 1.5C of any beans you choose) Alternatively, use 2-3 small cans of any beans you like.
1.5 large or 2 medium yellow onions
1 Large can Diced tomatoes
1/2 lb Ground Buffalo
1/4 lb Chorizo Sausage
1/4 lb cubed beef (stew meat or similar)
3 Poblano Peppers
1 Anaheim Pepper
1 Jalepeno
2 T. minced garlic
5 T. Ground Cumin (or to taste)
Ground Chile Powder. (I don't use a premixed Chili powder like you find in the store, I go to the Mexican Food section and get one or two different types of ground chiles in those little packets. I think I use Chile California, and some other kind but I don't remember what it is called.)
Salt to taste

Soak the beans in a pot of water overnight. Rinse and sort to get rid of any stones or dirt. Cover in 2-3 inches of fresh water in a pot and bring to a simmer. Cook slowly for about 2.5-3 hours until beans are tender.

In the mean time, dice onion and all peppers into small squares. (Discard seeds) Put peppers and onion in a stock pot over medium/low heat, sautee vegetables in a bit of olive oil. Add garlic and a tablespoon of salt or so. At the same time, combine all of the meat in a skillet and cook over medium heat until everything is browned. Drain fat if necessary and set aside until ready to add to stock pot.

Add remaining spices to the vegetables. I guess about 2 T. each of the chile powders and 3-5 T. of the cumin is about right. I always just eyeball it and judge by color and smell.

Add the meat and tomatoes to the stock pot. Bring to a simmer. Taste after about 5-10 minutes of simmering and correct spices. Usually I find that there is plenty of heat and just need to add salt or cumin. Add the beans and simmer for at least another 15 minutes.

Total prep time = about 45 minutes. Total cooking time = about 1 hour or more. (Except for cooking the beans which takes longer. Use canned if you are in a hurry, but rinse all that goop off of them.)
Old 12-20-2005, 02:11 AM

Gazpacho
Old 12-20-2005, 05:52 AM

My family's ever popular pasta dish

The key is the sauce which could not be simpler. Chop and fry some onions. Chop tomatoes (removing skins optional). Grill and chop bacon. Put together in pan for 20 mins. Add pepper and hot sauce to taste.

Serve with pasta and lots of grated cheddar cheese on top. And possibly a fried egg.

Simple but really good.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:19 AM

from allrecipes.com, my favorite dish:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 (3/4 pound) pork tenderloins
* 2 roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
* 1/4 cup chopped green olives
* 1/4 cup dry white wine
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1/2 cup heavy cream

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Brown pork on all sides in the skillet.
2. Mix the tomatoes, olives, wine, rosemary, and garlic in a bowl. Pour over the pork. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Place skillet with pork in the preheated oven, and bake 30 minutes, to a minimum internal temperature of 160 degrees F (72 degrees C).
4. Remove pork from skillet, leaving remaining tomato mixture and juices. Place skillet over medium heat, and gradually mix in the cream. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until thickened. Slice pork, and drizzle with the cream sauce to serve.

I add mushrooms cuz I like em and I also double the sauce and serve some over wide egg noodles. Enjoy.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:29 AM

My Italian girlfriends grandmothers pasta sauce.

Ingredients
1kg mince
1 large onion
1 large carrot
2 sticks of celery
3 cans of diced tomatoes
red wine
1 litre of stock, (I just make my own with some left over vegetables)
2 cloves of garlic
rosemary and thyme

Dice the vegetables very finely. This is the hardest bit. Little tiny cubes. Heat a pot with the best extra virgin olive oil you've got. When hot cook the celery and onion togther. When well cooked but not brown, add the carrot. Lower the heat and simmer this without burning it for as long as you can, (15-20 minutes, the longer the better)

Add the mince and stir until browned. Keep stirring until all the juices have evaporated and the mixture is very dry and hot. This is key. You don't want to burn it but It has to be dry. Make a little hole in the center and wait a moment to see if any liquid appears. If there is still liquid, keep cooking the fecker.
When it's dry and hot and ready to go bad, add some red wine, a cup should do it. You want the wine to evaporate, leaving the taste of the wine behind. Add the cans of tomatoes and about half the stock. Bring to a boil and simmer.
After a couple of hours, (add more stock progressively as it evaporates) pour about a cup and a half of that really good olive oil into a seperate pot. Add the whole garlic, fresh rosemary and thyme. Simmer this over a low heat for about half an hour. Leave to cool. Add the oil to the sauce. Simmer for another hour or so. Leave to sit, (I usually eat it the next day)

Real Italian grandmothers know best.