Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Old 12-16-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Title changes

Some posters have PM'd me asking to have their title (ie carpel/tunnel etc) changed. Am I allowed to do this. If so, how ? Thanks.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Title changes

We had a rash of title changes early on in the "we now have Mods" era. Some people think it went a little overboard. In MTT, we've only changed the titles of either a) people who have distinguished themselves in major events; or b) people who are our most distinguished posters usually beyond Carpal /Tunnel status - kind of like the next step beyond that level.

My suggestion is to change titles sparingly but you have to be fair so come up with some policy for yourself and stick to it. Many new posters (incorrectly) assume that titles are correlated with skill. And a custom title almost means that you are even more special than others.

To change a title, you'd edit the user profile just like if you're going to change anything else (posting ability, location, URL, avatar, etc.). Click on their name, click Edit this User, and change the title.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:41 PM

Agreed. I only change titles of people who've truly earned it, and only if they come up with something reasonably clever. For example, I change Tony Palodino's title for his butter eating escapades in OOT, and a guy in micro won a seat in a tourney in the Bahamas, so he got "Pirate of the Caribbean." If they just ask me for a change without having earned it, I tell them to come back to me when they think they've earned something. This not only keeps me from looking like I'm just changing the titles of my friends or whatever, but it encourages people to go out and do something cool, to the betterment, or at least entertainment, of the forum.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:15 PM

I didn't really even think about using titles as a reward for making a major contribution to the forum. Good idea. We've got two people in MTT who spent a lot of time on our FAQ and Anthology.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

To change a title, you'd edit the user profile just like if you're going to change anything else (posting ability, location, URL, avatar, etc.). Click on their name, click Edit this User, and change the title.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do I edit the user profile? I don't see a link to "edit this user" when I view their profile.

I plan to only change the title of one poster for now, I'll keep your suggestions in mind.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:02 PM

Send a PM to Mat. If you can't see the link then he didn't give you all of the access you need. Happened to someone else recently as well.
Old 12-16-2005, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Send a PM to Mat. If you can't see the link then he didn't give you all of the access you need. Happened to someone else recently as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Happened to me too, I PM'd Mat!
Old 12-16-2005, 05:47 PM

I just change them, unless I don't like the poster than I don't. it breaks about 50/50
Old 12-16-2005, 06:00 PM

I don't have the edit user link eithere, so I'll have to PM Mat. That said, I was always kinda jealous of people who had special titles. I want one [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].
Old 12-16-2005, 06:03 PM

Now that you're green, you can't have one. Mods can't edit other mods, including themselves.